Dishwasher Safe Caulk: Is Food Grade Latex Caulk Available?

• Thread starter scott123
  • Start date
In summary, food grade/aquarium caulk is the safest caulk to use in a dishwasher, but there is no caulk specifically designed for this purpose. A release agent may be necessary to remove the caulk later.
scott123
It seems that the consensus among DIY forums is that the only safe caulk for dishwasher use is food grade/aquarium caulk. For my specific application, though, I need something less permanent than silicone, but, from what I can tell, a food grade latex caulk doesn't exist.

I was looking at the SDS:

http://www.dap.com/media/53192/00010009001english.pdf

for the colored version of this:

http://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/kwik-seal-kitchen-bath-adhesive-caulk/

These are the ingredients that it lists:

Limestone (50-75%)
Diethylene glycol dibenzoate (2.5-10%)
Titanium dioxide (0.1-1.0%)
Quartz (0.1-1.0%)

According to this:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfCFR/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=175.105

Diethylene glycol dibenzoate is approved for trace/edge exposure in aqueous foods.

I'm looking at this list, and nothing is screaming out "don't use this near food." Am I missing something?

Engineering news on Phys.org
less permanent than silicon aquarium sealant? this is hardly permanent , a sharp utility knife will take it off ... less permanent than that and it won't stick!

oz93666 said:
less permanent than silicon aquarium sealant? this is hardly permanent , a sharp utility knife will take it off ... less permanent than that and it won't stick!

I'm using it on the rubber seal under a dishwasher motor/pump (between the motor and the plastic bottom of the dishwasher basin), so I can't cut it off. In my experience, silicon caulk has superior adhesion. The rubber seal is pretty old (and impossible to replace inexpensively). My concern is that, when it comes time to remove the motor, the silicon bond will hold and the rubber seal will tear.

And I don't really need it to be that sticky, just sticky enough to keep it from leaking. When cured, latex caulk seems to have the right amount of tack for my application, and, when it comes time to remove the motor, it should be removable.

I've given some thought to applying some kind of release agent with the silicone, but I'm concerned that I'll use too little and have too tight a bond, or use too much and end up with a leak.

1. Can I use regular caulk in my dishwasher?

No, regular caulk is not safe for use in a dishwasher as it is not food grade and may contain harmful chemicals that can contaminate your dishes.

2. What makes caulk food grade?

Food grade caulk is made from non-toxic materials that are safe for use in food preparation areas. It is also resistant to high temperatures and does not contain any harmful chemicals that could contaminate food.

3. Is food grade latex caulk available?

Yes, there are several brands that offer food grade latex caulk specifically designed for use in areas where food is prepared or stored. It is important to always check the label to ensure that the caulk is food grade and safe for use in a dishwasher.

4. How do I know if a caulk is dishwasher safe?

Look for caulk that specifically states that it is safe for use in a dishwasher on the label. This means that it has been tested and approved for use in high temperature and moisture environments.

5. Can I use food grade caulk for other household projects?

Yes, food grade caulk is safe for use in other household projects such as sealing around sinks or tubs. However, it is important to make sure that it is still safe for use in the specific area and temperature it will be exposed to.