How to Calculate π^σ If We Have 2 Disjoint Cycles?

• Thread starter FoxMCloud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary: Is_PeriodicSo in summary, to calculate π^σ, we first need to find the inverse of σ, which can be done by reversing the cycle. Then, using the formula (στ)^(-1)= τ^(-1)σ^(-1), we can find the inverse of π^σ. However, there is a general theorem that makes this process easier, called the Cycle Decomposition of Conjugate Is Periodic.
FoxMCloud
Suppose we have 2 disjoint cycles π and σ. How can one calculate π^σ?
I know how to calculate σ^2 or σ^3 but I can't figure out how to solve that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about cycles in the sense of cyclic permutations? The first question would be how we define [itex] \pi^\sigma [/itex].

Yes cyclic permuations. For example if[itex]\pi[/itex]= (147)(263859) and σ=(16789)(2345) how can we calculate [itex]\pi[/itex]^σ

FoxMCloud said:
Yes cyclic permuations. For example if[itex]\pi[/itex]= (147)(263859) and σ=(16789)(2345) how can we calculate [itex]\pi[/itex]^σ

How did you define ##\pi^\sigma##? Did you define it as ##\sigma \circ \pi \circ \sigma^{-1}##?

Last edited:
I think it's something along the lines of σ^(-1)*[itex]\pi[/itex]*σ. But then again, I'm not seeing how can I calculate σ^(-1).

FoxMCloud said:
I think it's something along the lines of σ^(-1)*[itex]\pi[/itex]*σ. But then again, I'm not seeing how can I calculate σ^(-1).

If you have one cycle, then you can find the inverse by reversing the cycle. So if [tex]\sigma = (1 ~2~5~3)[/tex], then [tex]\sigma^{-1} = (3~5~2~1)[/tex]

Then if you have a more general form, then you can calculate the inverse by the formula ##(\sigma\tau)^{-1}= \tau^{-1}\sigma^{-1}##.

For example, if you have ##(1~4~6)(3~2)##, then the inverse is ##(2~3)(6~4~1)##.

So now you can find ##\sigma^{-1}## and thus also ##\pi^\sigma##. However, for a general theorem which makes this a LOT easier: http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Cycle_Decomposition_of_Conjugate

Likes 1 person

1. How do you calculate π^σ?

There is no exact formula for calculating π^σ. It is a mathematical challenge that requires creative problem solving and advanced mathematical techniques.

2. What is σ in π^σ?

σ is a variable that represents the standard deviation of a set of numbers. In the context of π^σ, it is used to determine the precision of the calculation.

3. Why is calculating π^σ considered a challenge?

Calculating π^σ is considered a challenge because it requires advanced mathematical skills and creative problem solving. It is not a simple formula that can be easily solved.

4. Can π^σ be calculated exactly?

No, π^σ cannot be calculated exactly. It is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a finite decimal. Therefore, any calculation of π^σ will be an approximation.

5. What is the significance of calculating π^σ?

The calculation of π^σ has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It also represents a challenging mathematical problem that encourages critical thinking and problem solving skills.