1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disjoint proof

1. May 23, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone,

Could someone please show me how to prove this?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine |A U B| in terms of |A| and |B| assuming that A and B are disjoint

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that A U B must be finite because A and B are disjoint, but besides that I don't know how I would go about proving this.

Could someone please show me how to?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2008 #2
    There are some intuitive ways to answer this...
    (i) The easiest way is to draw a Venn diagram and see what you think the answer might be
    (ii) Secondly (and more formally) you could formulate the answer in terms of 'indicator functions'

[tex]i_X(x)= \begin{cases} 0 & \mbox{if }x \notin X \\ 1 & \mbox{if }x \in X [/tex]

Try the first part and then see if you can do the same via the second

4. May 23, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much

Regards

5. May 23, 2008 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just because A and B are disjoint, does not in any way imply that AuB is finite. Just count the elements (assuming both A and B are finite).

6. May 24, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Suppose A= {a}, B= {b}. What is AUB? What is |A|? What is |B|? What is |AUB|?

Suppose A= {a, b, c}, B= {u, v, w, x, y, z}. What is AUB? What is |A|? What is |B|? What is |AUB|?

Do those examples give you any ideas? When you have no idea how to do a general problem, look at simple examples.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?