Disk and blockutter frustration

• Thread starter Juntao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk
In summary: The moment of inertia of the block about the rotation axis is .0025kg*m^2. b) The moment of inertia of the disk about the rotation axis is .5*I*w^2.
Juntao
I've included a picture.

A uniform disk of mass Mdisk = 5 kg and radius R = 0.2 m has a small block of mass mblock = 2.5 kg on its rim. It rotates about an axis a distance d = 0.17 m from its center intersecting the disk along the radius on which the block is situated.
==========================================

a) What is the moment of inertia of the block about the rotation axis?
b) What is the moment of inertia of the disk about the rotation axis?
c) When the system is rotating about the axis with an angular velocity of 4.7 rad/s, what is its energy?

------------------------------------
a) this part wasn't so bad. I=M*R^2 => (2.5kg)(.2m-.17m)^2=.0025kg*m^2

b) This is where I get stuck. The hint says to use the parallel-axis theorem, but I don't even understand it. Can someone explain it and show me how to use it for this problem? Greatly appreciate it.

c) Well, total energy is equal to the rotational kinetic energy of the block plus the rotational kinetic energy of the disk. So Total energy would be .5I*w^2 (disk)+.5*I*w^2 (block)
where w =omega.
I can figure out the KE for the blcok easily, but I don't know how to calculate the moment of inertia for the disk. Once I get that, I should have the answer down. :P

Attachments

• disk.gif
    disk.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your book for a table of moments of inertia of various shapes. You might find one.

You could also do an integral if you're sophisticated enough.

As you probably know, the parallel axis theorem states the following:

[tex]
I = I_{cm} + MD^2[/tex]

Icm is the moment of inertia when the rotation axis goes through the objects center of mass... you already know that.

M is the mass of the disk, you know that too.

D is the distance of the axis of rotation from the center of mass (the middle). Do you know D?

I is what you're looking for. The moment of inertia from your new rotation axis.

Thanks guys. I figured it out in like 10 mins with your help. :smile:

1. What is disk and blockutter frustration?

Disk and blockutter frustration is a term used to describe the feeling of frustration or irritation that arises when a computer or electronic device experiences difficulty in reading or writing data to a disk or block storage media.

2. What causes disk and blockutter frustration?

Disk and blockutter frustration can be caused by a variety of factors, including software or hardware malfunctions, insufficient memory or storage space, and corrupted data.

3. How can disk and blockutter frustration be resolved?

The best way to resolve disk and blockutter frustration is to identify and address the underlying cause. This may involve troubleshooting software or hardware issues, freeing up storage space, or repairing corrupted data.

4. Can disk and blockutter frustration be prevented?

While disk and blockutter frustration cannot always be prevented, there are measures that can help reduce the likelihood of encountering these issues. These include regularly updating software and hardware, maintaining adequate storage space, and backing up important data.

5. Are there any long-term effects of experiencing disk and blockutter frustration?

In most cases, there are no long-term effects of experiencing disk and blockutter frustration. However, if the underlying cause is not addressed, it could lead to further complications such as data loss or system crashes.