1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disk Method

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The curve x=y^(2) and the line x=4 is rotated about the x axis.

2. Relevant equations

pi* integral from a to b of Radius^(2)

3. The attempt at a solution

pi* integral from 0 to 4 of (square root of x)^(2) dx.

My teacher has this answer as 8pi but I think that that is wrong. Shouldn't it be 16 pi because you have to account for symmetry?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your formula for the volume of the little disk is for the whole disk: ##\pi r^2 dx##. That's the area of the circle times the thickness. Your teacher is correct.

4. Apr 9, 2012 #3
    I see!!! How would you do this if you are doing the shell method? I am stuck at this part:

2pi* integral from -2 to 2 of y[4-y^(2)] dy. I am stuck there lol.

5. Apr 10, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You almost have it correct. But remember that the ##2\pi y## accounts for revolving the area. You only revolve the area above the ##x## axis. Your original statement of the problem is not well worded in that regard. So ##y## would only vary from 0 to 2. Otherwise the volume is given twice.

6. Apr 10, 2012 #5
    I see and thanks. However, how come for this problem: y=x^(2), y=2-x^(2), about x=1 the limits are from -1 to 1.?

7. Apr 10, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember, the limits are always for the area that is being revolved. Think about what limits you would use if you were just calculating the area.

8. Apr 10, 2012 #7
    Thank you!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook