How fast does the disk move when pulled by a string?

In summary, a solid uniform disk with a mass of 21.0 kg and a radius of 85.0 cm is at rest on a frictionless surface with a string wrapped around its rim. A constant force of 35.0 N is applied to the string, causing the disk to move a distance of 3.2 m. Using the linear version of Newton's second law, the disk's speed is calculated to be 4.6 m/s.
kritzy
1. A solid uniform disk of mass 21.0 kg and radius 85.0 cm is at rest flat on a frictionless surface. A string is wrapped around the rim of the disk and a constant force of 35.0 N is applied to the string. The string does not slip on the rim.
(A) When the disk has moved a distance of 3.2 m, determine how fast it is moving.
(B) How fast it is spinning (in radians per second).
(C) How much string has unwrapped from around the rim.

Homework Equations

τ=RF
τ=Iα
I=.5mR[tex]^{2}[/tex]
a=Rα
v[tex]^{2}[/tex]=v[tex]^{2}_{0}[/tex]+2ax
v=Rω

The Attempt at a Solution

(A) τ=RF=(35)(.85)=29.75
I=(.5)(21)(.85)[tex]^{2}[/tex]=7.58625
α=τ/I=29.75/7.58625=3.92
a=(.85)(3.92)=3.33
v=[tex]\sqrt{0+(2)(3.33)(3.2)}[/tex]=4.6
This is how I did the problem but it is incorrect.

(B)v=Rω
I want to use this formula to find the angular velocity but my velocity is incorrect.

(C)I was thinking of using this formula: θ=(ω[tex]^{2}[/tex]-ω[tex]^{2}_{0}[/tex])/2α

Can somebody please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
kritzy said:
A solid uniform disk of mass 21.0 kg and radius 85.0 cm is at rest flat on a frictionless surface. A string is wrapped around the rim of the disk and a constant force of 35.0 N is applied to the string. The string does not slip on the rim.
(A) When the disk has moved a distance of 3.2 m, determine how fast it is moving.

τ=RF
τ=Iα

Hi kritzy! :smile:

For (A), use the ordinary (linear) version of Newton's second law :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi kritzy! :smile:

For (A), use the ordinary (linear) version of Newton's second law :wink:

I figured it out. Thank you for the hint.:smile:

1. What is a disk pulled by string?

A disk pulled by string is a scientific experiment in which a disk or circular object is attached to a string and pulled in a horizontal direction. This experiment is used to study the relationship between the force applied to the string and the resulting motion of the disk.

2. How does a disk pulled by string work?

The disk pulled by string experiment works by applying a horizontal force to the string, which in turn causes the disk to move in a circular motion. This motion is governed by the principles of centripetal force, which states that an object will continue to move in a circular path as long as there is a force acting towards the center of the circle.

3. What materials are needed for a disk pulled by string experiment?

The materials needed for a disk pulled by string experiment include a disk or circular object, a string, and a device to apply force to the string (such as a pulley or hand). It is also helpful to have a ruler or measuring tape to measure the distance the disk moves.

4. What are the variables in a disk pulled by string experiment?

The variables in a disk pulled by string experiment include the force applied to the string, the mass and size of the disk, and the length of the string. By changing these variables, scientists can study the effect on the motion of the disk and make conclusions about the relationship between force and motion.

5. What is the significance of the disk pulled by string experiment?

The disk pulled by string experiment is significant because it allows scientists to study the principles of circular motion, centripetal force, and the relationship between force and motion. It also has real-world applications, such as understanding the motion of objects in orbit or amusement park rides.