Solving Disk Shaft (ENES102) Homework Equations

• Thread starter ptnguyen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk Shaft
In summary, to calculate the length of the spring at different angles, use the formula S = Lf - Li, and for the final length (Lf), use the formula rBA = rA - rB. Then, use the formula F = KS to calculate the magnitude of the force, where K is the spring constant found by dividing the force applied (F) by the spring deformation (S).
ptnguyen
➠ members are reminded that the problem statement should be in typed text, not as an image

Homework Statement

[/B]
FullSizeRender.jpg

Homework Equations

r[/B]BA= rA-rB
UBA= rBA/rBAF= KS
F= Magnitude of force
S=Spring deformation >Lf-Li

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have found the components for RB and some RA, but the thing I'm missing is the R AZ. I know that at 0 and 90 degree the spring is 15 in because the spring was not stretch. I'm confuse on how to calculate the length of the spring when the disk turn and the angle increase.
Thanks you so much in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 1.28.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 1.28.20 PM.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

To calculate the length of the spring at different angles, you can use the formula S = Lf - Li, where S is the spring deformation, Lf is the final length of the spring, and Li is the initial length of the spring. In this case, since the spring is not stretched at 0 and 90 degrees, the initial length (Li) would be 15 inches.

To find the final length (Lf), you can use the formula rBA = rA - rB, where rBA is the distance between point B and point A, rA is the distance between point A and the pivot point, and rB is the distance between point B and the pivot point. You can use this formula for different angles and plug in the values to find the final length of the spring (Lf).

Once you have the final length of the spring at different angles, you can use the formula F = KS to calculate the magnitude of the force. K is the spring constant, which you can find by dividing the force applied (F) by the spring deformation (S).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What are the common equations used for solving disk shaft problems?

The most commonly used equations for solving disk shaft problems include the torsion equation, shear stress equation, and deflection equation. Other equations that may be used depending on the specific problem include the moment of inertia equation and the bending stress equation.

2. How do I determine the appropriate equations to use for a specific disk shaft problem?

The equations used for solving disk shaft problems depend on the specific problem and the given information. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem statement and identify the relevant variables and parameters. Then, the appropriate equations can be selected and applied to solve the problem.

3. Can I use the same equations for both solid and hollow disk shafts?

No, the equations used for solid and hollow disk shafts are different. For a solid disk shaft, the moment of inertia and polar moment of inertia will be different than for a hollow disk shaft. Therefore, different equations must be used for each type of shaft.

4. Are there any assumptions that need to be made when using these equations for solving disk shaft problems?

Yes, there are a few common assumptions that are made when using these equations. These include assuming the material is homogeneous and isotropic, neglecting frictional forces, and assuming the shaft is in static equilibrium. It is important to carefully consider these assumptions and their potential impact on the accuracy of the solution.

5. Can these equations be used for all types of disk shaft problems?

These equations are commonly used for solving various types of disk shaft problems, but they may not be applicable in every situation. It is important to carefully consider the problem and the given information to determine if these equations are appropriate to use. In some cases, more complex or specialized equations may be needed to solve the problem.