Why do masses on a disk move differently than masses on a string?

• Thread starter PFuser1232
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk
In summary: Well, it will be zero for circular motion of course. Can you list some other case?In summary, the conversation discusses a system with a rotating disk and two masses connected by a string. The masses are initially held in place by a catch and when released, they slide along the groove without friction. The question asks for the acceleration of one of the masses in terms of various parameters. The solution is found using equations of motion and a constraint equation. The conversation also touches on the topic of why the particles move in a spiral rather than a circle, and the presence of the ##\ddot{r}## term in the equations of motion.
PFuser1232

Homework Statement

A disk rotates with constant angular velocity ##ω##, as shown (attached image). Two masses, ##m_A## and ##m_B##, slide without friction in a groove passing through the center of the disk. They are connected by a light string of length ##l##, and are initially held in position by a catch, with mass ##m_A## at distance ##r_A## from the center. Neglect gravity. At ##t = 0## the catch is removed and the masses are free to slide.

Find ##\ddot{r}_A## immediately after the catch is removed, in terms of ##m_A##, ##m_B##, ##l##, ##r_A##, and ##ω##.

Homework Equations

$$\sum_{}^{} \vec{F}_r = m(\ddot{r} - r \dot{\theta}^2) \hat{r}$$

3. The Attempt at a Solution

The particles are constrained to move according to ##r_A + r_B = l##. Differentiating twice with respect to time, we get ##\ddot{r}_A = -\ddot{r}_B##. Each particle experiences a force of magnitude ##T## where ##T## is the tension in the string. Writing down the equations of motion:
$$-T = -m_A(\ddot{r}_A - r_A \omega^2)$$
$$-T = -m_B(\ddot{r}_B - r_B \omega^2)$$
Eliminating ##T## and substituting ##r_B = l - r_A## and ##\ddot{r}_B = -\ddot{r}_A## we get:
$$\ddot{r}_A = \omega^2 \frac{m_A r_A + m_B r_A - m_B l}{m_A + m_B}$$
Is this answer correct?
Also, before ##t = 0##, were ##m_A## and ##m_B## acted upon by an additional force ##F## such that ##|F - T| = mr\omega^2##? Or was the string fixed?
It seems to me that my physical intuition was wrong (again). I don't understand why the ##\ddot{r}## terms appear in the equations of motion. Why can't the masses remain at a fixed distance from the circle?
My last question is really about the polar coordinate system and the constraint I used above, namely ##l = r_A + r_B##.
If the disk was big enough, and the string was entirely on one side of the circle (the origin no longer lies on the string), then we would be forced to interpret the radial coordinate of the particle closer to the pole as negative, otherwise the sum of the radial coordinates would not equal the length of the string, right?
Sometimes, I find the non-uniqueness of polar coordinates really frustrating

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 497
Physics news on Phys.org
MohammedRady97 said:
Is this answer correct?
Looks correct.

We don't know how the system was hold in place before t=0, I don't see how this would matter.

MohammedRady97 said:
Why can't the masses remain at a fixed distance from the circle?
They can, if their forces are in equilibrium?

MohammedRady97 said:
If the disk was big enough, and the string was entirely on one side of the circle (the origin no longer lies on the string), then we would be forced to interpret the radial coordinate of the particle closer to the pole as negative, otherwise the sum of the radial coordinates would not equal the length of the string, right?
That, or change the equation for l (and for the force balances) to keep two positive radial distances.

mfb said:
Looks correct.

We don't know how the system was hold in place before t=0, I don't see how this would matter.

They can, if their forces are in equilibrium?

That, or change the equation for l (and for the force balances) to keep two positive radial distances.

Why do the particles move around in a spiral, rather than a circle?

MohammedRady97 said:
Why do the particles move around in a spiral, rather than a circle?
Assuming they move in a circle, you can consider the forces on one and deduce the tension in the string. Likewise the other. If the two tensions are not the same then your assumption must be false.

haruspex said:
Assuming they move in a circle, you can consider the forces on one and deduce the tension in the string. Likewise the other. If the two tensions are not the same then your assumption must be false.

The two tensions are the same, since the string is massless. What I'm asking is: why are there ##\ddot{r}## terms in the equations of motion in the first place?

MohammedRady97 said:
The two tensions are the same, since the string is massless. What I'm asking is: why are there ##\ddot{r}## terms in the equations of motion in the first place?
You seem to be saying you want an explanation for the ##\ddot r## term in ##|\Sigma F_r| = m(\ddot r - r {\dot \theta}^2)##. Is that right? You should be able to find a derivation online.

haruspex said:
You seem to be saying you want an explanation for the ##\ddot r## term in ##|\Sigma F_r| = m(\ddot r - r {\dot \theta}^2)##. Is that right? You should be able to find a derivation online.

I'm quite familiar with the derivation of acceleration in polar coordinates.
I'm just wondering why it appears in some cases, but not others.

MohammedRady97 said:
I'm quite familiar with the derivation of acceleration in polar coordinates.
I'm just wondering why it appears in some cases, but not others.
Well, it will be zero for circular motion of course. Can you list some other case?

What is a disk with catch?

A disk with catch is a scientific apparatus used to study the motion of objects. It consists of a disk with a hole in the center and a string attached to the hole. The string is wound around the disk and then pulled out, causing the disk to spin.

How does a disk with catch work?

The disk with catch works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy. When the string is pulled, it creates tension which is stored as potential energy in the disk. As the string is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the disk to spin.

What is the purpose of a disk with catch?

The purpose of a disk with catch is to study the relationship between potential and kinetic energy. It is also used to demonstrate principles of motion, such as inertia, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

What factors affect the motion of a disk with catch?

The motion of a disk with catch can be affected by various factors, including the initial tension of the string, the mass and size of the disk, and the surface on which it is spinning. Friction and air resistance may also play a role in the motion of the disk.

How is a disk with catch used in scientific experiments?

A disk with catch is used in scientific experiments to measure and analyze the motion of objects. By varying different factors, such as the initial tension or the surface, scientists can observe how these changes affect the motion of the disk. This can lead to a better understanding of fundamental principles of motion and energy.