Solving a Puzzling Problem: A Disk and a Hoop

• Thread starter Geoffrey F. Miller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk
In summary, a disk has a greater moment of inertia than a hoop because the disk is harder to rotate. Rotational inertia is calculated by taking the moment of inertia around a certain axis.
Geoffrey F. Miller
I'm having some trouble with a conceptual problem. Your help or input would be greatly appreciated. Here's the problem.

A disk and a hoop, both having the same mass, are rolled down a hill. The disk rolls faster than the hoop. Why is this so?

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Which one has the greater rotational inertia? (And thus is harder to get rolling.)

I guess the hoop would have a greater moment of inertia, but why is it greater? How is rotational inertia calculated?

Moment of Inertia

[tex] I = \sum_{i=1}^{n} m_{i} r_{i}^2 [/tex]

For a a system composed of particles with defined mass the above can be calculated easily, but for a continuous mass system we will take a small mass [itex] \Delta m [/tex] and applying the moment of inertia definition we should get.

[tex] I = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \Delta m_{i} r_{i}^2 [/tex]

Which is the integral of an infinitessimal mass

[tex] I = \int r^2 dm [/tex]

Now the moment of inertia around the z axis for a Uniform hoop is

[tex] I_{z} = \int r^2 dm [/tex]

every particle with mass dm is at a constant distance R, so

[tex] I_{z} = R^2 \int dm [/tex]

[tex] I_{z} = MR^2 [/tex]

For more detail we could calculate the moment of inertia for ring shaped cylinder will be:

Using

[tex] \rho = \frac{dm}{dV} [/tex]

[tex] I_{z} = \int r^2 \rho dV [/tex]

Applying cylindric shells we get, where L is the height of our cylinder

[tex] dV = 2 \pi r dr L [/tex]

so

[tex] I_{z} = 2 \pi L \rho \int^{r}_{r_{o}} r^3 dr [/tex]

we get

[tex] I_{z} = \frac{1}{2} M(r^2 + r_{o}^2) [/tex]

A hoop can be considered a ring shaped cylinder of very thin walls so we could say

Now an uniform disk could be considered a solid cylinder so

r being the radius of our cylinder

Using
[tex] \rho = \frac{dm}{dV} [/tex]

[tex] I_{z} = \int r^2 \rho dV [/tex]

Applying [itex] dV = dA L [/itex]

[tex] I_{z} = \int r^2 \rho 2 r \pi L dr [/tex]

[tex] I_{z} = \int r^3 \rho 2 \pi L dr [/tex]

[tex] I_{z} = \rho 2 \pi L \int^{r}_{0} r^3 dr [/tex]

[tex] I_{z} = \frac{1}{2} MR^2 [/tex]

Note: All the z- axis go throught the center of mass

Also:

Moment of Inertia for the disk
[tex] I_{z} = \frac{1}{2} MR^2 [/tex]

Moment of Inertia for the hoop

From this two moment of inertia you can see which will get down before the other.

and i found this movie for this:
http://solomon.physics.sc.edu/~tedeschi/demo/demo12.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the problem specify that the disk and hoop have the same radius?

Geoffrey F. Miller said:
I guess the hoop would have a greater moment of inertia, but why is it greater? How is rotational inertia calculated?
Cyclovenom gave the details, but the gist of it is that rotational inertia depends on how the mass is distributed: The more mass farther from the rotational axis, the greater the rotational inertia. It's harder to rotate something if its mass is far from the axis of rotation.

Tide said:
Did the problem specify that the disk and hoop have the same radius?
It doesn't matter.

Doc Al said:
It doesn't matter.

I thought it would be something Geoff should think about! :smile:

An excellent point! :biggrin:

1. How do I solve a puzzling problem involving a disk and a hoop?

To solve a puzzling problem involving a disk and a hoop, you will need to use your critical thinking skills and knowledge of geometry and physics. Start by carefully examining the problem and identifying any given information. Then, use mathematical equations and principles to analyze the problem and come up with a solution.

2. What are some strategies for solving a puzzling problem involving a disk and a hoop?

Some possible strategies for solving a puzzling problem involving a disk and a hoop include breaking the problem into smaller parts, drawing diagrams, and using trial and error. It can also be helpful to look for patterns and make connections between different aspects of the problem.

3. What should I do if I get stuck while trying to solve a puzzling problem involving a disk and a hoop?

If you get stuck while trying to solve a puzzling problem involving a disk and a hoop, take a break and come back to it later. Sometimes, stepping away from the problem for a while can help you come back to it with a fresh perspective. It can also be helpful to ask for help from a teacher, tutor, or peer.

4. How can I check if my solution to a puzzling problem involving a disk and a hoop is correct?

You can check if your solution to a puzzling problem involving a disk and a hoop is correct by plugging your answer back into the original problem and seeing if it satisfies all the given conditions. It can also be helpful to ask someone else to review your solution and provide feedback.

5. What real-world applications are there for solving puzzling problems involving a disk and a hoop?

Solving puzzling problems involving a disk and a hoop requires the use of critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in many scientific fields. Some real-world applications of solving such problems include designing and optimizing machines, predicting the motion of objects, and analyzing data in various industries such as engineering, physics, and computer science.