1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disks and sphere

1. Mar 18, 2008 #1
    What is the minimum number of disks required to perfectly cover a sphere with a radius k number of times the radius of the disks?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2008 #2
    1/0.

4. Mar 20, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Werg22, he said "sphere", not "ball".

5. Mar 28, 2008 #4
    Thanks Wergs22 and HallsofIvy,

...but I was looking for a solution more akin to the disk covering problem http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DiskCoveringProblem.html" [Broken] but for a sphere rather than the complex plane extended over a sphere. Maybe if we consider the number of steradian needed to cover a sphere?

As an aside, the Riemann Sphere brings up another question... Is there a 3 dimensional complex space where the traditional complex plane has an orthogonal counterpart sharing the same Real axis?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  6. Mar 28, 2008 #5
    Since the Surface area of a sphere is 4*pi*r^2 and the area of a disc is pi*r^2 wouldn't you need just 4? This is assuming of course you could manipulate the shape of the discs without changing their area.

7. Mar 28, 2008 #6
    Hey Diffy, I came to the same conclusion for the case where the radius of the sphere and the radius of the disks are equal. And when the radius of the sphere is k times the radius of the disks the number is 2k^2. But I can't see how four disks can cover a sphere without being distorted, in which case, the disks are no longer disks...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook