1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dismembering frames

1. Dec 15, 2007 #1
    [​IMG]

Ok Here is a frame

I have a FINAL comming up and was just wondering

IF i had to DISMEMBER frame AG

what would be the reactions...

like I know there will be Ax and Ay due to a PIN JOINT and Gx and Gy BUT !! -- Since there is a member ABC will there be any reactions due to it. And if so how would I draw them?

there is

AX AY, now is there A2X and A2Y because of member abc?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should always first determine reactions by looking at forces and moments external to the system, before you start dismembering the frame and looking at internal forces. So first calculate the reactions looking at the system as a whole. Then take apart the member AG and the forces at joint G will pop up at you.

4. Dec 16, 2007 #3
    Hi thanks for replying,..Ys i know i always look at it as a whole and solve for any reactions possible BUT im just wondering what the reactions WOULD be... IF i dismember AG

5. Dec 17, 2007 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm sorry, I didn't give this problem enough thought. I incorrectly was assuming that after calculating the external reactions, it would be a simple matter to dismember the frame and calculate member forces on the the assumption that they would take axial loads only as in a truss. However, this is not the case, since there are bending moments and shears involved, such that, for example, there exists vertical shears and moments in the top horizontal member ABC, and it is not clear how the reaction forces at A would distribute at that joint. Right now, I'm going back to the drawing board, but my mind is blank. I hope someone else can shed some light.

6. Dec 17, 2007 #5

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Hey salman what's the problem statement? are you supposed to find only the reactions? the forces acting on each member? or the internal loading (shear, axial and bending diagrams) of each member?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?