Disney® Mania

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date

rbelli1

Gold Member
True. I guess you would have to look around and see what points of interest you were most interested in in the areas if the choice of Disney park was not the most important.

I was just listing some interesting places near the smaller park. If the everglades sparks interest then that would be even more reason to go to DW rather than DL.

BoB

nsaspook

Science Advisor
By that standard, DW is fairly close to Miami, the Everglades and Key West. And Cuba, after regularly scheduled commercial airline service from the US starts sometime next year.
I was in the Keys for a week after a week in DW. I would have loved to have taken a boat to Cuba from Key West.
16301437911_bc0d07b412_z_d.jpg

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
If you haven't seen Zootopia, drop everything and go see it. In my humble opinion, this is THE best movie that has come out of the Disney Animation unit since The Lion King. Just the scene with the sloth alone is worth the money! Oh my god, they stole the movie!

And the topic can't be any more perfect than what is happening right now socially here in the US and in many parts of the world. Not often one can say that about an animated movie.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Another movie plug. If you haven't done so, go see "Queen of Katwe", produced by Disney and ESPN film. It is an amazing, feel-good movie, and it is based on a true story! If you don't believe me, read the reviews so far. This is the movie you complained that Hollywood doesn't make.

It is too bad that Disney did not promote this movie even more.

But if this is the type of movie that Disney makes with all the money from Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm, then I will gladly see "Finding Dory" again.

Zz.

jtbell

Mentor
IMG_0197.JPG IMG_0198.JPG

At a stamp show near Atlanta today, I saw a nice exhibit of early Mickey Mouse material.

jtbell

Mentor
The thumbnails should expand to full size when you click on them. The first one is an advertising cover for (I guess) a toy store or department store in Chicago. Mickey is one of the passengers on a Lionel train. The second is an original sketch of Mickey as an airmail pilot for one of the early cartoons.

Unfortunately the clear plastic covers on the exhibit frames produce lots of reflections.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
This is no Mickey-Mouse research. The people at Disney Research has just developed a room where one can charge various mobile electronics wirelessly.

You may actually read the open-access paper here.

Zz.

nsaspook

Science Advisor
This is no Mickey-Mouse research. The people at Disney Research has just developed a room where one can charge various mobile electronics wirelessly.

You may actually read the open-access paper here.

Zz.
I saw that a few days ago. No thanks at 40% to 95% efficiency (with maybe 50% being realistic for a typical sized room). Once you get above a few watts the losses will show up as an increased power bill and with metal walls the RF reception for your powered cell phone and WiFi devices might be a little poor unless you have a repeater system in each room. That pole carries a 140 A current at the max power level of 1900 W. That's not something I'd want little kids being around.

Cinderella(1950) without makeup, looks like young Mary Poppins:
yu4EY.jpg

nsaspook

Science Advisor
Super cool!

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
If you have not seen Disney/Pixar latest masterpiece "Coco", be warned that you may encounter adults shedding tears during the movie. No Disney/Pixar movie has the same emotionally wrought moment since the opening sequence of "Up" and the ending of "Toy Story 3".

Highly recommended.

Zz.

nsaspook

Science Advisor

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
It isn't everyday that the topics of politics, physics, and Disney come together, but it certainly did in this one.

Here's a very obscure Disney trivia that you will get out of this: What currently-serving US Congressman designed and built the parade controller for Disney's Electrical Parade that debut at Disneyland?

Check out minute 5:50 in the video below for the answer.

BTW, he is currently the ONLY physicist left in the US congress.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I finally extracted this info out of my phone. And since I'm a physicist, I had to analyze and chart it out (of course!). So during my last visit to WDW, this was how much I walked over the 9 full days that I was there:
walking at wdw.jpg

Yeah, I walked a lot, but I also ate a lot, so they all wash out in the end. I also didn't walk as much as I used to, because we were not in any hurry or need to do anything much. Most of the time, we just sat on a nice bench and did people-watching as we stuffed our faces with snacks and drinks. It also helped that the Epcot's Flower and Garden Festival that was on while we were there also became Flower and Garden and Food Festival. There was no lacking of stuff to sample on.

Zz.

Did you park hop? If you did, it might be fun to make it stacked bar charts, with different colors by park.

Ironically the last time I took my brother's family to MK he left disappointed with the number of steps he walked. I'm going to give credit for that to the combination of myself and Touring Plan's expert planning.