Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
Evo said:
Wow, don't get in Zapper's way! :tongue2:

I love the baboon. :biggrin:

Er... Baboon, Evo?

That's Rafiki, from The Lion King.

[OK, I think this is a sign that I should stop watching the DVD for at least the next 3 months... ]

:)

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
Er... Baboon, Evo?

That's Rafiki, from The Lion King.

[OK, I think this is a sign that I should stop watching the DVD for at least the next 3 months... ]

Zz.
I couldn't remember his name. (wonders what else is in Zapper's video collection) :wink:

My favorite Disney movie growing up was Sleeping Beauty. My favorite character was the little fat blue fairy Merryweather. Back in those days, you had to catch the movie in the theatre, they were re-released to theatres about every seven years. There were no videos or DVD's then. I had the entire movie memorized and read the Disney book of the movie about 1,000 times. :blushing:

Evo said:
I couldn't remember his name. (wonders what else is in Zapper's video collection) :wink:

My favorite Disney movie growing up was Sleeping Beauty. My favorite character was the little fat blue fairy Merryweather. Back in those days, you had to catch the movie in the theatre, they were re-released to theatres about every seven years. There were no videos or DVD's then. I had the entire movie memorized and read the Disney book of the movie about 1,000 times. :blushing:

OK, since we are confessing on our favorite Disney movie, I will confess that my most favorite Disney movie is Aristocats! I just have a weakness for cute, fluffy, little creatures... :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
OK, since we are confessing on our favorite Disney movie, I will confess that my most favorite Disney movie is Aristocats! I just have a weakness for cute, fluffy, little creatures... :)

Zz.
:!) If you cook, will you marry me? :smile:

Evo said:
:!) If you cook, will you marry me? :smile:

I make a mean beef strogonoff, I bake my own bread, and people have paid for my blueberry poundcake.

Shall we have our honeymoon at... oh... let's see, Disney World?! :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I make a mean beef strogonoff, I bake my own bread, and people have paid for my blueberry poundcake.

Zz.

Mmmmmmm...yummmmmmy. :!) Oh, the food sounds good too! :biggrin:

That trip to Disney is sounding even better!

I've seen Aristocats many, many times! I dunno, it's a toss-up though. Lady and the Tramp is quite the classic love story as well.

ZapperZ said:
:!) :!) :!) (I love Beef Stroganoff!) You CAN'T be real!

Heck, we can have our wedding there! I watched a special about Disney Weddings on the Food Network. :smile:

Evo said:
Heck, we can have our wedding there! I watched a special about Disney Weddings on the Food Network. :smile:

I used to want to have a wedding registry at the Disney Store. They have some really nice housewares if you like mouse ears! :biggrin: Though, I'd have to go with The Warner Bros. store for the champagne glasses...they had really cool glasses with Bugs Bunny stems made of pewter. One of my friends had a Mickey and Minnie cake topper, but I think I'd rather have Lady and the Tramp sucking on spaghetti! :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
I used to want to have a wedding registry at the Disney Store. They have some really nice housewares if you like mouse ears! :biggrin: Though, I'd have to go with The Warner Bros. store for the champagne glasses...they had really cool glasses with Bugs Bunny stems made of pewter. One of my friends had a Mickey and Minnie cake topper, but I think I'd rather have Lady and the Tramp sucking on spaghetti! :tongue2:
Lady and the Tramp was a great movie. :approve:

I'm still partial to Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd doing Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" from "The Ring of the Nibelung".

Elmer: Oh Bwoonhilda, you're so wuvly.

Bugs: Yes, I know it, I can't help it.

Elmer: Oh Bwoonhilda, be my wuv.

Ok, you've got to sing it otherwise it loses something. :frown:

Evo said:
Lady and the Tramp was a great movie. :approve:

I'm still partial to Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd doing Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" from "The Ring of the Nibelung".

Elmer: Oh Bwoonhilda, you're so wuvly.

Bugs: Yes, I know it, I can't help it.

Elmer: Oh Bwoonhilda, be my wuv.

Ok, you've got to sing it otherwise it loses something. :frown:

Strangely enough, when I was growing up (which was during the Ice Age), I tend to prefer Warner Bros. cartoons/Merry Melodies than Disney cartoons. Come to think of it, I still do. Other than Donald, Disney characters are pretty... well, how shall I put it, bland! I love Donald because he has such a strong personality, and he's very short tempered (much like me, I know).

Warner Bros. cartoons, on the other hand, are very identifiable. And the early ones can be quite politically incorrect, which made them even more of a classic nowadays. I will now make another confession on here, as if my reputation hasn't been ruined already with this thread. I also have a large Tweety Bird collection <insert shock here>. Tweety is my most favorite Warner character (I told you I love cute, fuzzy little creatures). My collection started ever since I won a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) Tweety in, of all places, The Excalibur hotel in Las Vegas! Yes, I know its odd. People win money in Vegas, I win Tweety Bird!

You can imagine that in my place, there's a battle going on between the Tweety collection, and the Disney collection.

[I'm not making this any better, am I] :)

Zz.

Evo said:
:!) :!) :!) (I love Beef Stroganoff!) You CAN'T be real!

So what's wrong with my blueberry poundcake? :)

It's the Wedding Pavilion just right off The Grand Floridian grounds. The pavilion overlooks the 7 Seas Lagoon facing Magic Kingdom and Cinderella's castle. In my book, The Grand Floridian is THE place to stay for adults (kids will definitely love Animal Kingdom Lodge more).

Zz.

So ZZ, are you going to share your recipes? :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
So ZZ, are you going to share your recipes? :biggrin:

I'll think about it. My blueberry poundcake as one secret ingredient that I came up with, so that's a tough one to reveal.

And I bet you want me to post it in your thread, eh? :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'll think about it. My blueberry poundcake as one secret ingredient that I came up with, so that's a tough one to reveal.

And I bet you want me to post it in your thread, eh? :)

Zz.
It's not my thread, I just started it.

I just planted my 6th blueberry bush last weekend. Five of 6 have flowers, so starting late May throught June and perhaps into July, we'll have fresh blueberries. We use them on cereal or in pancakes, or whatever.

Acutally, my wife found a recipe for chicken salad which calls for roast walnuts, grapes and blueberries. I will have to dig it up.

So, ZZ, do you do gardening by any chance? We have a gardening thread too.

Astronuc said:
It's not my thread, I just started it.

I just planted my 6th blueberry bush last weekend. Five of 6 have flowers, so starting late May throught June and perhaps into July, we'll have fresh blueberries. We use them on cereal or in pancakes, or whatever.

OK, I officially HATE you! :)

I would love to get my hands on fresh blueberries like that. I usually get most of my blueberries during farmers markets around here, but that won't occur till later in the summer. Till then, I have to make do with what I can find at Whole Foods.

Acutally, my wife found a recipe for chicken salad which calls for roast walnuts, grapes and blueberries. I will have to dig it up.

So, ZZ, do you do gardening by any chance? We have a gardening thread too.

No, I don't do any gardening, even though I have 3 orchid plants, 2 cacti, 2 mother-in-law-tongue, a planter full of oregano, another planter with 3 basil plants, and an unidentifiable plant in the house. Humm... maybe I am doing a form of "gardening" after all. :)

Well, maybe, if you promise not to reveal it to the world, I'll send you my blueberry poundcake recipe. It will be after I get back from PAC at the end of next week, though. I have to first hunt for the recipe. :)

BTW, if you love that kind of salad, I have a recipe for fresh spinach salad with toasted slivered almonds, diced strawberries, and a raspberry dressing that is to die for!

Wait a second! Aren't we still in the Disney thread here??!

Zz.

OK, I officially HATE you! :)
:rofl:

Yeah, I have that effect on people. :biggrin: Oh, btw, I have raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and rhubarb, too. :biggrin:

I don't know what kind of property you have, but blueberries are grown out your way, in Michigan and Wisconsin, and perhaps in the way out 'burbs of Chicago.

Check out - http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG2241.html .

Sounds like you do some herb gardening.

Yeah, this is still the Disney thread. :biggrin:

I am not much into places like Disney or amusement parks for that matter - just too crowded. The only way for me to enjoy a place like that would be heavily drugged. :wink: But then my son wants to go there, so I will have grit my teeth and bear it.

I prefer National Parks like Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Bryce, Zion, Badlands, Rocky Mountain - or great rivers like upper Missouri, Snake, Columbia, Colorado, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:

Yeah, I have that effect on people. :biggrin: Oh, btw, I have raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and rhubarb, too. :biggrin:

Well, you can keep the raspberries. Besides the seeds, I just have a problem with eating a "fruit" that is harrier than my face. However, having seen your picture, I suppose you can't say that. :)

Sounds like you do some herb gardening.

Yes, since I use them quite often in my cooking. You can whip out a quick and simple pasta dish very easily when you have fresh herbs.

I am not much into places like Disney or amusement parks for that matter - just too crowded. The only way for me to enjoy a place like that would be heavily drugged. :wink: But then my son wants to go there, so I will have grit my teeth and bear it.

I prefer National Parks like Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Bryce, Zion, Badlands, Rocky Mountain - or great rivers like upper Missouri, Snake, Columbia, Colorado, etc.

Ah.. well, I'm a city boy and tend to prefer that than anything else. I've been known to tell people that I don't do camping unless it is catered. :)

There is a trick in going to Disney World. While you cannot avoid the crowds (unless you were as "lucky" as we were last year and go there in between 2 hurricanes), there are certain times of the year in which the crowd can be bearable. You definitely do not want to go during the height of summer/memorial day, and certainly not during the winter holidays at the end of the year. Trust me on this. I've been there when they broke ALL attendence records on 4 consecutive days (Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom were closed for entrance by 3:00 pm since they reached capacity), and even for us Disney veterans, we were still amazed at how jam-packed they were.

The other thing you may try to do is to go there with someone who actually knows the parks <hint, hint>, rather than go there and blindly plow through them with no guidance. I've done both, and it is waaaay more enjoyable when you have someone who knows what to do, where to do it, and when to do it.

Zz [Your unofficial Disney World travel planner]

ZapperZ said:
Ah.. well, I'm a city boy and tend to prefer that than anything else. I've been known to tell people that I don't do camping unless it is catered. :)

I have lived in small coastal towns of a few hundred people, and I have lived in the suburbs of 2 large cities, Houston (TX) and Melbourne (Australia), with millions. Cities are interesting places to visit, but I prefer to live in the country-side. I am actually a mountain-man at heart. :biggrin: I prefer to see wild animals out there in the wilderness.

ZapperZ said:
The other thing you may try to do is to go there with someone who actually knows the parks <hint, hint>, rather than go there and blindly plow through them with no guidance. I've done both, and it is waaaay more enjoyable when you have someone who knows what to do, where to do it, and when to do it.

Zz [Your unofficial Disney World travel planner]
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. What time of year is best for Disney World - i.e. minimal crowds? I would certainly do it myself in the middle of a hurricane :biggrin: , but I would not subject my family to that.

Astronuc said:
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. What time of year is best for Disney World - i.e. minimal crowds? I would certainly do it myself in the middle of a hurricane :biggrin: , but I would not subject my family to that.

Middle of January till end of February, and after Labor Day till Thanksgiving. The rule of thumb is always to look at when school holidays are, and don't go there during those times. However, if you have school-age kids, that negates the usefulness of that rule.

In addition, since those dates are typically their slow times of the year, not only do you not have large crowds, but you also can get some of the best deals from them in terms of hotels, etc. Practically all of their packages include tickets to the theme parks. So you can save quite a bit of money by going during the slow times.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Middle of January till end of February, and after Labor Day till Thanksgiving. The rule of thumb is always to look at when school holidays are, and don't go there during those times. However, if you have school-age kids, that negates the usefulness of that rule.
That's the problem - my kids are school age. I need to look when they have spring break, which might be better than summer - certainly not as hot or humid.

This is more for Astronuc: as you can tell from the picture, you CAN have the park to yourself if you time it right. This is from last year in between two hurricanes and shows the entrance into Frontier Land at Magic Kingdom at 10:00 am in the morning.

Like I said, I almost had the parks all to myself (went on Splash Mountain 5 times that day). However, I don't recommend waiting for the 2-hurricane event again anytime soon. :)

Zz.

Last edited:
I'm getting excited about a PF Disney trip. Look, I even have my mouse ears on! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character47.gif

Moonbear said:
I'm getting excited about a PF Disney trip. Look, I even have my mouse ears on! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character47.gif
That's[/URL] cute! Just don't get within range of your avatar. :wink: :tongue:

Evo said:
That's cute! Just don't get within range of your avatar. :wink: :tongue:

If I go to Disney, I'll have to disarm the kitty. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character47.gif
[/URL]
Pssssttt... Moonbear... your bra slipped again.

Moonbear said:
If I go to Disney, I'll have to disarm the kitty. :rofl:
I can just see the headlines now "Mickey Mouse was gunned down over the Labor Day weekend. Witnesses say it appeared to be a shotgun weilding kitten. Police are following up on tips that a hot babe with luxurious golden hair was heard to say "oops" and quickly fled the scene in an RV with what appeared to be large mouse ears and a bazooka on the roof".

Evo said:
I can just see the headlines now "Mickey Mouse was gunned down over the Labor Day weekend. Witnesses say it appeared to be a shotgun weilding kitten. Police are following up on tips that a hot babe with luxurious golden hair was heard to say "oops" and quickly fled the scene in an RV with what appeared to be large mouse ears and a bazooka on the roof".

Oh, figures, you'd tint the windows so they can't see the getaway driver! :rofl:

ZapperZ said:
This is more for Astronuc: as you can tell from the picture, you CAN have the park to yourself if you time it right. This is from last year in between two hurricanes and shows the entrance into Frontier Land at Magic Kingdom at 10:00 am in the morning.

Like I said, I almost had the parks all to myself (went on Splash Mountain 5 times that day). However, I don't recommend waiting for the 2-hurricane event again anytime soon. :)

Zz.
I could handle those kind of crowds. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:

I have lived in small coastal towns of a few hundred people, and I have lived in the suburbs of 2 large cities, Houston (TX) and Melbourne (Australia), with millions. Cities are interesting places to visit, but I prefer to live in the country-side. I am actually a mountain-man at heart. :biggrin: I prefer to see wild animals out there in the wilderness.

Astronuc,
I am just now completing a week in LA doing Disneyland and Universal City. We have been simply walking through most rides, with no, to a very short wait. We also find the weather much better (ie not so hot) as in the summer, and warmer then the winter.

Integral said:
Astronuc,
I am just now completing a week in LA doing Disneyland and Universal City. We have been simply walking through most rides, with no, to a very short wait. We also find the weather much better (ie not so hot) as in the summer, and warmer then the winter.
Thanks, Integral. I get out to San Diego (just down the highway from LA) quite a lot, and sometimes bring the family. Disneyland is the progenitor of the Disney organization, and it is a classic theme/amusement park. I'll start planning. :biggrin:

The Happiest Sight On Earth

Other than seeing family and friends, and seeing a quack beeing booted off PF, to me, this is THE happiest sight on earth!

This is the view one gets driving on one of the major entry points into the Walt Disney World Resort. I drive through this coming from the airport, and each time I feel like a kid again. There is this overwhelming sensation of joy and happiness, and the promise of several days of fun times, and being amused at the smallest, simplest things.

It makes no sense, I know. And I've probably been programmed by the evil Mouse to forever be his slave. But you know what, there is already so much suffering and hatred to go around in this world that I will hang on to the few things I know that brings that much happiness...

Zz.

Last edited:
APP News General Release: Due to the overwhelming success and health benefits of the "McMousetrap mousewrap", the "carb-friendly Atkins (R) Wrap", and the most successful marketing slogan in history, "Everybody Needs Mouse", the Disney Co. announced today the release of a its newest product to spin off from the so called "critter craze": A new soft drink that comes with proof of spectacular health benefits, and called "The Real Mickey". The drink is available in fine strained form or for you heartier drinkers, with the pulp.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=21807&page=1&pp=15&highlight=mouse

ZapperZ said:
Other than seeing family and friends, and seeing a quack beeing booted off PF, to me, this is THE happiest sight on earth!

This is the view one gets driving on one of the major entry points into the Walt Disney World Resort. I drive through this coming from the airport, and each time I feel like a kid again. There is this overwhelming sensation of joy and happiness, and the promise of several days of fun times, and being amused at the smallest, simplest things.

It makes no sense, I know. And I've probably been programmed by the evil Mouse to forever be his slave. But you know what, there is already so much suffering and hatred to go around in this world that I will hang on to the few things I know that brings that much happiness...

Zz.
Aww Zz, you're just a child at heart. :approve:

Evo said:
Aww Zz, you're just a child at heart. :approve:

Or maybe I've just been suckered into buying this whole thing.. :)

Zz.

This is a unique view of the "golfball", i.e. Spaceship Earth at Epcot, across the lagoon from the Japanese pavilion at the World Showcase.

Zz.

Last edited: