Exploring the Flat Dispersion of Charge Excitations in Solids

In summary, the conversation discusses dispersionless excitations in solids, specifically charge excitations. These types of excitations have a flat dispersion in reciprocal space, which is attributed to the assumption of a zero Fermi velocity. The nature of these excitations is also discussed, with the expectation of a strong excitonic nature due to their localization in real space. However, this is not always the case, as seen in ARPES measurements of impurity states in solids. The conversation concludes that the flat dispersion in these cases can be explained by the minimal interaction between excitons at different lattice points.
EdB
Hello everybody,

I have a question related to dispersionless excitations in solids (especially charge excitations).
Usually when you have a charge excitation involving an impurity in a solid or another excitation that is very local in real space, they show up with a flat dispersion in reciprocal space. First of all, it's not really straightforward for me to understand why. Is it due to the fact that we can assume a zero Fermi velocity?

The second question I have is related to the nature of this kind of excitations. If a charge excitation is very local in real space, I would expect a strong excitonic nature, as a Frenkel exciton. This happens for instance in optically forbidden d-d transitions, whose dispersion can be probed by resonant inelastic x-ray scattering (RIXS). Therefore, the dispersion I expect to be flat is the one of the two-particle excitation spectrum. However, many times, I also see in ARPES measurements that a flat dispersion appears for impurity states in solids. ARPES is sensitive to the single-particle excitation spectrum and it involves a process that is completely different with respect to RIXS. How can this flat dispersion be retrieved also in the single-particle scenario in the case of impurity states?

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
If excitons are very localized, excitons at different lattice points will interact little and therefore superpositions with different k values will differ only little in energy. I.e., the energy dispersion will be quite flat.

What are dispersionless excitations?

Dispersionless excitations, also known as undamped or non-dispersive excitations, are physical phenomena that do not exhibit any change in frequency or wavelength as they propagate through a medium.

What are some examples of dispersionless excitations?

Some examples of dispersionless excitations include electromagnetic waves in a vacuum, sound waves in a rigid medium, and certain types of quantum particles.

How are dispersionless excitations different from dispersive excitations?

Dispersionless excitations do not exhibit any change in frequency or wavelength, while dispersive excitations do. This means that dispersionless excitations maintain their shape and amplitude as they propagate, while dispersive excitations may change in shape and/or amplitude.

What are the applications of dispersionless excitations?

Dispersionless excitations have various applications in different fields. For example, electromagnetic waves in a vacuum are used in communication technologies, sound waves in a rigid medium are used in medical imaging, and certain types of quantum particles are used in quantum computing.

How are dispersionless excitations studied and analyzed?

Dispersionless excitations can be studied and analyzed using mathematical models and experimental techniques such as spectroscopy and interferometry. These methods allow scientists to observe and measure the properties of dispersionless excitations and understand their behavior in different systems.