1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement and distance

1. Aug 1, 2015 #1
    If the displacement of a particle is given by x=(t-2)(t-2) if x is in mtrs and t in seconds the distance covered by the particle in 4 seconds is?

I am not sure how to start.

I know is S=ut+1/2at*t

But not sure how to proceed.

I am new member, would be grateful for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2015 #2
    Orignal quesiton

Attached Files:

4. Aug 1, 2015 #3
    What do you think the function tells you exactly?

5. Aug 1, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to the forum. Next time please use the homework template (forum rules).

Have you considered sketching the graph of x=(t-2)2 ?

6. Aug 1, 2015 #5
    I think the particle is moving in two direction. At 2 seconds the displacement is 0, means it changes its direction.
    I am unfortunately, not a physics expert, I read several different books, could not find a explanation for the question.
    thank you for your time.

7. Aug 1, 2015 #6
    Sorry, I did not do graph, I will try. Thank you

8. Aug 1, 2015 #7
    Or definite integration?

9. Aug 1, 2015 #8
    I got this graph, but unable to calculate the distance travelled.

upload_2015-8-1_20-13-37.png

Attached Files:

10. Aug 1, 2015 #9
    Alright.Now,since distance is asked,you could break up the motion into two parts.Depending on the direction in which it is moving.Then you could solve them seperately.

11. Aug 1, 2015 #10
    Why not? What does y-axis say?

12. Aug 1, 2015 #11
    thank you. But I am not able to calculate the distance in first 2 seconds and next 2 seconds with a formula.
    If I replace t with 2 in the formula it becomes zero.

13. Aug 1, 2015 #12
    Y axis shows: at 0 second 4, at 1 sec 1 and similarly at 2,3, 4 it says 0, 1, 4 again.

Does that mean total distance is: ?10m

14. Aug 1, 2015 #13
    Yes,what does it tell you about the directions of the motions?
    Though it would be more efficient if you understood and used the graph method.

15. Aug 1, 2015 #14
    Thank you. Actually this is for my niece who is in India, has no access to internet. I am an established doctor, I was trying to help them, by posting in the forum here. I studied this 23 years back, tried to read cambridge material, finally put down to this forum to clever people to help me to help others.

So do we agree the answer is 10m. Actually in the question bank the answer they gave was 8m.

16. Aug 1, 2015 #15

I did put this in another forum, they said it was incorrect question. You can see in my original post, the choice answers they gave does not have 10m.

17. Aug 1, 2015 #16
    But the answer isn't 10.It's 8..

18. Aug 1, 2015 #17
    No.

Clear it again. In 0 second, it is 4. That does not mean it traversed 4 meters in 0 sec.

Remember, distance is the scalar and displacement is vector. So, in displacement you can use angles and positive negative signs for opposite directions. But for distance, it is sum of all separate displacements along all the directions neglecting the sign.

So, look at the graph and think again.

19. Aug 1, 2015 #18
    Yes, answer is 8. You can do it seeing graph. Add the displacements neglecting the signs

20. Aug 1, 2015 #19
    Y-axis actually shows from 0 to 2 seconds the displacement is (-4) and from 2 to 4 seconds it is (+4).

So, distance is |-4|+|+4|=4+4=8

Best of luck for your niece anyway.

21. Aug 1, 2015 #20
    Thank you for your time both of you.
    Now I am beginning to understand.
    How would explain this? things confusing me were
    1) how can a particle move in 0 seconds to 4 meter
    2) If you break the journey: at 1 second it comes down to 1 (meaning 3m) at 2 second to y=0 (meaning another 1m) and then back up again. Is that correct?
    3) If yes then if there is large number for example x is 20 how would we calculate.
    I am grateful for your input.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted