Calculating Displacement and Distance: A Particle's Motion in 4 Seconds

In summary, the function x=(t-2)(t-2) describes the displacement of a particle in meters over time in seconds. The distance covered by the particle in 4 seconds can be calculated by breaking the motion into two parts and adding the absolute values of the displacements. In this case, the total distance covered in 4 seconds is 8 meters. This can be determined by observing the graph and understanding that distance is the sum of all separate displacements along all directions.
Ishaikh
If the displacement of a particle is given by x=(t-2)(t-2) if x is in mtrs and t in seconds the distance covered by the particle in 4 seconds is?

I am not sure how to start.

I know is S=ut+1/2at*t

But not sure how to proceed.

I am new member, would be grateful for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Orignal quesiton

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-1_19-31-52.png
    upload_2015-8-1_19-31-52.png
    68 KB · Views: 452
What do you think the function tells you exactly?

Likes fireflies
Welcome to the forum. Next time please use the homework template (forum rules).

Have you considered sketching the graph of x=(t-2)2 ?

Likes fireflies
Ellispson said:
What do you think the function tells you exactly?
I think the particle is moving in two direction. At 2 seconds the displacement is 0, means it changes its direction.
I am unfortunately, not a physics expert, I read several different books, could not find a explanation for the question.
thank you for your time.

CWatters said:
Welcome to the forum. Next time please use the homework template (forum rules).

Have you considered sketching the graph of x=(t-2)2 ?
Sorry, I did not do graph, I will try. Thank you

Or definite integration?

Likes Ellispson
I got this graph, but unable to calculate the distance travelled.

upload_2015-8-1_20-13-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-1_20-13-10.png
    upload_2015-8-1_20-13-10.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 408
Ishaikh said:
I think the particle is moving in two direction. At 2 seconds the displacement is 0, means it changes its direction.
I am unfortunately, not a physics expert, I read several different books, could not find a explanation for the question.
thank you for your time.
Alright.Now,since distance is asked,you could break up the motion into two parts.Depending on the direction in which it is moving.Then you could solve them seperately.

Likes fireflies
Why not? What does y-axis say?

Ellispson said:
Alright.Now,since distance is asked,you could break up the motion into two parts.Depending on the direction in which it is moving.Then you could solve them seperately.
thank you. But I am not able to calculate the distance in first 2 seconds and next 2 seconds with a formula.
If I replace t with 2 in the formula it becomes zero.

fireflies said:
Why not? What does y-axis say?
Y axis shows: at 0 second 4, at 1 sec 1 and similarly at 2,3, 4 it says 0, 1, 4 again.

Does that mean total distance is: ?10m

Ishaikh said:
thank you. But I am not able to calculate the distance in first 2 seconds and next 2 seconds with a formula.
If I replace t with 2 in the formula it becomes zero.
Yes,what does it tell you about the directions of the motions?
Though it would be more efficient if you understood and used the graph method.

Ellispson said:
Yes,what does it tell you about the directions of the motions?
Though it would be more efficient if you understood and used the graph method.
Thank you. Actually this is for my niece who is in India, has no access to internet. I am an established doctor, I was trying to help them, by posting in the forum here. I studied this 23 years back, tried to read cambridge material, finally put down to this forum to clever people to help me to help others.

So do we agree the answer is 10m. Actually in the question bank the answer they gave was 8m.

Ishaikh said:
Thank you. Actually this is for my niece who is in India, has no access to internet. I am an established doctor, I was trying to help them, by posting in the forum here. I studied this 23 years back, tried to read cambridge material, finally put down to this forum to clever people to help me to help others.

So do we agree the answer is 10m. Actually in the question bank the answer they gave was 8m.
I did put this in another forum, they said it was incorrect question. You can see in my original post, the choice answers they gave does not have 10m.

Ishaikh said:
I did put this in another forum, they said it was incorrect question. You can see in my original post, the choice answers they gave does not have 10m.
But the answer isn't 10.It's 8..

Ishaikh said:
Y axis shows: at 0 second 4, at 1 sec 1 and similarly at 2,3, 4 it says 0, 1, 4 again.

Does that mean total distance is: ?10m
No.

Clear it again. In 0 second, it is 4. That does not mean it traversed 4 meters in 0 sec.

Remember, distance is the scalar and displacement is vector. So, in displacement you can use angles and positive negative signs for opposite directions. But for distance, it is sum of all separate displacements along all the directions neglecting the sign.

So, look at the graph and think again.

Likes Ellispson
Yes, answer is 8. You can do it seeing graph. Add the displacements neglecting the signs

Y-axis actually shows from 0 to 2 seconds the displacement is (-4) and from 2 to 4 seconds it is (+4).

So, distance is |-4|+|+4|=4+4=8

Best of luck for your niece anyway.

fireflies said:
Yes, answer is 8. You can do it seeing graph. Add the displacements neglecting the signs
Thank you for your time both of you.
fireflies said:
Y-axis actually shows from 0 to 2 seconds the displacement is (-4) and from 2 to 4 seconds it is (+4).

So, distance is |-4|+|+4|=4+4=8

Best of luck for your niece anyway.
Now I am beginning to understand.
How would explain this? things confusing me were
1) how can a particle move in 0 seconds to 4 meter
2) If you break the journey: at 1 second it comes down to 1 (meaning 3m) at 2 second to y=0 (meaning another 1m) and then back up again. Is that correct?
3) If yes then if there is large number for example x is 20 how would we calculate.
I am grateful for your input.

Ellispson said:
But the answer isn't 10.It's 8..
thank you for your input and precious time. It is interesting to me.

1) Suppose you are sitting and an ant is coming towards you. It is now 4m apart from you when you started to count the time. So, its initial distance from you is 4m. So, at time t=0, it didn't cross 4m, rather it is 4m away from the co-ordinate system with you.

2) Now it is coming with a velocity of 2 m/s (though large for an ant). So after 2 minutes it is 0 m from you. So, it's position is 0 from origin (you)

3) Let then it went 20 meters more after 10 mins. So, total distance by it, is 24 meters, and right now it is 20 meters from you.

I think the motion of the particle for the function is unidirectional. It is just once left and another time right to the co-ordinate system.

Sorry, it is double directional for your function. Something like, after the ant crossed you, it changed its direction and turned back. So, after 10 minutes it will go 20 m away from you again. Displacement for it is (4-20)m = -16 m. Here, negative sign means the displacement is opposite to its initial direction. And distance=|4|+|-20|=24m

fireflies said:
Sorry, it is double directional for your function. Something like, after the ant crossed you, it changed its direction and turned back. So, after 10 minutes it will go 20 m away from you again. Displacement for it is (4-20)m = -16 m. Here, negative sign means the displacement is opposite to its initial direction. And distance=|4|+|-20|=24m
Thank you So much.

1. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement refers to the overall change in position of an object, taking into account both the starting and ending point. Distance, on the other hand, is the total length of the path traveled by an object, regardless of direction.

2. How do you calculate displacement?

Displacement can be calculated using the formula: Δx = xf - xi, where Δx represents the displacement, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position of the object.

3. Is displacement always equal to distance?

No, displacement and distance are not always equal. If an object travels in a straight line from its starting point to its ending point, then displacement and distance will be equal. However, if the object changes direction or moves in a curved path, then displacement and distance will be different.

4. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This occurs when the object moves in the opposite direction of its initial position. For example, if an object starts at position 5 and ends at position 3, its displacement would be -2.

5. How is displacement represented on a graph?

Displacement is typically represented on a graph by a vector arrow pointing from the initial position to the final position of the object. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the displacement, and the direction of the arrow indicates the direction of the displacement.