1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement and force problem

1. Dec 9, 2007 #1
    the question is: A duck has a mass of 2.5 kg. As the duck paddles, a force of 0.10N acts on it in a direction due east. In addition, the current of the water exerts a force of 0.20N in a direction of 52 degrees south of east. When these forces begin to act, the celocity of the duck is 0.11m/s in a direction (relative to due east) of the displacement that the duck undergoes in 3.0s while the forces are acting.

I got the x and y components but I am stuck as to where to go from there??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What's the actual question; could you quote it word for word, please?

You should also show some work before we can help you. What have you done thus far? How did you find the x and y components?

4. Dec 9, 2007 #3
    That was the actual question word for word.

I took the .20N due east and took it times the sin of 52 to give me the y component which gives me .16N
    and to find the x component I took the .20N times the cos of 52 to give me one of the x-components and added it to the .10N already stated that was due east and it gave me
    .22N

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?