Vector Addition Using Unit Vector Notation

In summary, to find the x, y, and z components of the sum of two displacements, you can use the unit vector notation. A vector can be represented as A = axi + byj + czk, where a, b, and c are the components along the x, y, and z axes respectively.
VKK

Homework Statement

Find the (a) x, (b) y, and (c) z components of the sum of the displacements and whose components (in meters, m) along the three axes are cx = 7.9, cy = -4.0, cz = -6.2; dx = 4.5, dy = -1.5, dz = 3.3.

Homework Equations

I don't know.

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea how to even begin this one... WileyPlus gave me a hint, but this hint is pretty much useless.

I didn't wait until the last minute to do these problems, its just that this is the last one on Wiley that i need to do to get above a 9/10...

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you are adding 2 vectors C and D using unit vector notation. Are you familiar with representing a vector A like this: A = axi + byj + cz k?

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is a vector quantity that measures the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. It is represented by a straight line with an arrow pointing from the initial position to the final position.

2. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that takes into account the direction of an object's motion, whereas distance is a scalar quantity that only measures the total length traveled by an object regardless of its direction.

3. What are vectors?

Vectors are quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are represented by arrows and can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by scalars to obtain new vectors.

4. How are vectors represented mathematically?

In mathematics, vectors are typically represented by column or row matrices with their components in terms of a coordinate system. They can also be represented using unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions.

5. How is the direction of a vector determined?

The direction of a vector is determined by the angle it makes with a chosen reference axis or by using the unit vector notation. It can also be determined by using trigonometric functions to find the angle between the vector and a coordinate axis.