1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement -calc

1. Sep 1, 2006 #1
    The displacement 'x' of a particle varies with time according to the relation
    [tex] x = \frac{a}{b}(1 - e^-^b^t)[/tex] Then,

(A) At t=1/b the displacement of the particle is a/b.
    (B) The velocity and acceleration of the particle at t=0 are 'a' and 'b' respectively.
    (C) The particle cannot reach a point at a distance 'x' from its starting point if x'>ab.
    (D) The particle will come back to its starting point as 't' tends to infinity.

I have differentiated to obtain the velocity and also acceleration but I still cant seem to solve this.
    My book says the correct answer is (C) but how do you arrive at it? Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2006 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Have you noticed why a, b and d are not correct?
    The particle is at its maximum distance when its velocity is zero.

4. Sep 1, 2006 #3
    This is just plugging in and checking.
    You said you differentiated to get the velocity and acceleration functions, so this is just more plugging in and checking. If you are unsure, you probably differentiated incorrectly.
    In order for it to come back, its velocity would need to change direction at some point. Does it? And if so, does it reach the starting point again?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?