1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement HW Question-STUMPED!

1. Jun 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A skateboarder, starting from rest, rolls down a 15.0 m ramp. When she arrives at the bottom of the ramp her speed is 7.95 m/s.

(a) Determine the magnitude of her acceleration, assumed to be constant.

(b) If the ramp is inclined at 23.0° with respect to the ground, what is the component of her acceleration that is parallel to the ground?

2. Relevant equations

v squared=v initial squared +2ax
    kinematics equations..

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried so many times to get the answer! I tried making a right triangle with 23 degree angle and cos 23=x/2.1, it didnt work out...i'm so confused, please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Seems OK to me. How do you know it's wrong? Did you use enough significant figures?

4. Jun 13, 2007 #3
    I don't know, that's probably it though! I'm using webassign and it tells u if its wrong or not

5. Jun 13, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What did you enter exactly?

6. Jun 13, 2007 #5
    Yeah, that's it. Haha, dumb Webassign! That was the first answer I put in too.
    Thanks so much =)

7. Jun 14, 2007 #6
    Beginning the way DocAl begins it is fairly a easy question.
    I can help you in the first part,
    use the equation v^2=u^2+2as
    all the data is given in the quation and after getting this part i would prefer that you think about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?