Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Displacement HW Question-STUMPED!

1. Jun 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A skateboarder, starting from rest, rolls down a 15.0 m ramp. When she arrives at the bottom of the ramp her speed is 7.95 m/s.

(a) Determine the magnitude of her acceleration, assumed to be constant.

(b) If the ramp is inclined at 23.0° with respect to the ground, what is the component of her acceleration that is parallel to the ground?

2. Relevant equations

v squared=v initial squared +2ax
    kinematics equations..

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried so many times to get the answer! I tried making a right triangle with 23 degree angle and cos 23=x/2.1, it didnt work out...i'm so confused, please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Seems OK to me. How do you know it's wrong? Did you use enough significant figures?

4. Jun 13, 2007 #3
    I don't know, that's probably it though! I'm using webassign and it tells u if its wrong or not

5. Jun 13, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What did you enter exactly?

6. Jun 13, 2007 #5
    Yeah, that's it. Haha, dumb Webassign! That was the first answer I put in too.
    Thanks so much =)

7. Jun 14, 2007 #6
    Beginning the way DocAl begins it is fairly a easy question.
    I can help you in the first part,
    use the equation v^2=u^2+2as
    all the data is given in the quation and after getting this part i would prefer that you think about it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook