Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement in phase space

1. Nov 23, 2014 #1

naima

Gold Member

Hi PF

I read the definition of the displacement operator:
    ##D(\lambda) = e^{\lambda a^\dagger - \lambda ^* a}##
    but i did not find how this operator can be implemented say in a cavity with a photonic state inside.
    Could you give me links?
    thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Have a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherent_states

Note that the application of this "displacement operator" to the vacuum does not create a photon Fock state (i.e., a state with definite photon number) but a coherent state!

4. Nov 23, 2014 #3

naima

Gold Member

Danke Vanhees71
    I read in this wiki
    ""...letting the unitary displacement operator D(α) operate..."
    The problem is not to let it operate. The problem is to prepare a device which will enable an experimentalist to displace a sate by ##\alpha##
    I read the external links at the end of the article but i did not find any device's
    description. I think that it needs pulses but with which interaction?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  5. Nov 24, 2014 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I only know that lasers produce coherent states. How you prepare a given coherent state in detail, I cannot say :-(.

6. Nov 24, 2014 #5

strangerep

Science Advisor

Mandel & Wolf (sect. 11.13, p568) give a derivation of the field produced by a time-dependent classical current, and show (iiuc) that it's a coherent state. As the current changes, the state changes continuously, but it's always a coherent state. I.e., changing the current is equivalent (in that case) to acting with a ##D(\alpha)##--like operator.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  7. Nov 25, 2014 #6

naima

Gold Member

8. Nov 25, 2014 #7

naima

Gold Member

Suppose that, using a pulse during t, i displace the vacuum to a gaussian centered around a point P in the phase space. This point will rotate in this plane. At a given moment the gaussian will be centerd around -P. If i apply the same pulse will the atom return to its vacuum?
    If yes how can we know when we have to light the atom ?

Edit
    As i have many copies of the ground state |g> i can vary the ##\Delta t## between two pulses and for which it returms to |g> and know the rotation period.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook