1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement, instantaneous velocity

1. Aug 30, 2008 #1
    If the derivative of displacement is velocity, then what does the integral of displacement (change in position) tell, is it distance? Also what exactly is jerk (third derivative of displacement) and what experiments can you do to measure jerk?

How do you calculate the instantaneous velocity of something if your not given an equation to the displacement graph. Can't do calculus and find the derivative because i don't have an equation and i have no idea what the equation for the tangent line is because i don't have two points to find it and therefore can't find the slope. Doing a regression on the graph isn't accurate either. I do have enough info to find average velocity though. I can get awfully close but i'll never no the exact inst. velocity without an equation.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted