Displacement of a Particle: Investigating Complex Values in Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of displacement in relation to a mathematical formula and the effect of complex values on displacement. It is determined that for the function to be defined, the variable must be restricted to produce real numbers. The graph of the equation ##y=\sqrt{x-2}## is also mentioned.
FilupSmith
A few months ago, I stumped my Mathematics teacher with a question when we were learning about displacement of a particle, given a formula. For example, ##x=t^{2}-t-1##, where x is in meters and t is in seconds.

Anyway, she made it very clear how to solve displacement when given time t (Simply solving for the unknown value). My question was, what happens in the case of, for example, the displacement ##x=\sqrt{t-2}##, when t=1 second?

I guess my question is, how is displacement effected if the displacement x is a complex value?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you're working on real valued functions, you must restrict the domain of the function to values that produce real numbers. In other words, the displacement is undefined when your function produces complex values.

Last edited:
HakimPhilo said:
The displacement is undefined when your function produces complex values. Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That sounds most probable.
So for the case of ##x=\sqrt{t-2}##, ##x\in \mathbb{R}## ?
~| FilupSmith |~

You would like to see the graph of the equation ##y=\sqrt{x-2}##

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    5 KB · Views: 434
FilupSmith said:
So for the case of ##x=\sqrt{t-2}##, ##x\in \mathbb{R}## ?

The variable here is ##t##, for the function to be defined what's inside the square root must be positive, i.e. ##t-2\geqslant0\Rightarrow t\geqslant 2##.

Last edited:
HakimPhilo said:
The variable here is ##t##, for the function to be defined what's inside the square root must be positive, that is ##t-2\geqslant0\Rightarrow t\geqslant 2##.
Ah, I see. ~| FilupSmith |~

adjacent said:
You would like to see the graph of the equation ##y=\sqrt{x-2}##
I know what it looks like, I'm just curious about what the displacement would be for non-real x values - but it seems to be that for ##x=f\left( t\right)##, x cannot be complex. ~| FilupSmith |~

1. What is displacement of a particle?

Displacement of a particle is a change in position or location of a particle from its initial point to its final point. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both magnitude and direction of the change in position.

2. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement and distance are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Distance is a scalar quantity that measures the total path traveled by a particle, while displacement is a vector quantity that measures the shortest distance between the initial and final positions of a particle.

3. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. A negative displacement indicates that the particle has moved in the opposite direction of the positive direction, either in a straight line or along a curved path.

4. What is the unit of displacement?

The unit of displacement is typically the same as the unit of length used in the given system of measurement. In the International System of Units (SI), displacement is measured in meters (m).

5. How is displacement calculated?

Displacement can be calculated by subtracting the initial position vector from the final position vector of a particle. In one-dimensional motion, it can also be calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position.