How Do You Calculate Total Displacement for a Two-Part Train Journey?

In summary, the train travels a total distance of 58km at an average velocity of 77km/h[E] and then travels for half an hour at an average velocity of 64km/h[E]. The total displacement can be found by adding the displacements for each interval, which can be calculated using the average velocity and time for each interval. The time for the second interval is given as half an hour.
aaquib
A train travels 58km at an average velocity of 77km/h[E] waits for 5min, and then runs for half an hour at an average velocity of 64km/h[E]. Find the total displacement.

HOW?!?? I am so confused. I have a test tomorrow and my teacher is useless. Please help me pass this course.

Physics news on Phys.org
aaquib said:
A train travels 58km at an average velocity of 77km/h[E] waits for 5min, and then runs for half an hour at an average velocity of 64km/h[E]. Find the total displacement.

HOW?!?? I am so confused. I have a test tomorrow and my teacher is useless. Please help me pass this course.

You shoudl know that aevrage velocity is given by

[tex] \overline{v}_x = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} [/tex]

so if you have the time and the average velocity you may find the displacement. Find the displacements for each of the two different intervals and simply add them up. That's really that simple.

kdv said:
You shoudl know that aevrage velocity is given by

[tex] \overline{v}_x = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} [/tex]

so if you have the time and the average velocity you may find the displacement. Find the displacements for each of the two different intervals and simply add them up. That's really that simple.

I only have the time for the second part though. It doesn't tell me how long it travels for until after it stops.

distance = velocity / time

You know 58km at an average velocity of 77km/h so you only have one variable, time.

aaquib said:
I only have the time for the second part though. It doesn't tell me how long it travels for until after it stops.

For the second part it tells you that it last half an hour!

What is the displacement problem?

The displacement problem refers to the difference between the original position of an object and its final position after it has moved or been displaced.

Why is the displacement problem important in science?

Understanding displacement is important in science because it helps us measure the distance an object has moved and calculate its velocity, acceleration, and other important physical quantities.

What are some common causes of displacement?

Displacement can be caused by a variety of factors, such as forces acting on an object, changes in temperature or pressure, or the movement of other objects in its surroundings.

How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's change in position, while distance is a scalar quantity that only measures the total length of the path an object has traveled.

Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative if an object moves in the opposite direction of its initial position. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction of the positive direction, or the direction of the coordinate system being used.