Displacement Problem: Solve 5th & 3rd Turn

In summary, the man starts from "O" and moves 500m, turning by 60° after each 500m movement. The displacement after the 5th turn is 500m and after the 3rd turn is 1000m. The correct method is to consider the angle with respect to the forward path, resulting in a hexagon shape.
takando12

Homework Statement

A man starts from "O" moves 500m , turns by 60° and moves 500m again again turns by 60° and moves 500m and so on. Find the displacement after 1) 5th turn 2) 3rd turn (assume each turn is clockwise from the man's point of view.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing a diagram and I think it looks like an equilateral triangle with the man going through the same path after every 3rd turn. And so after some counting I concluded that the answers are 1) 500m and 2) 0m . But the correct answers are 500 and 1000 m respectively. Is my method wrong? How do i solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
takando12 said:

Homework Statement

A man starts from "O" moves 500m , turns by 60° and moves 500m again again turns by 60° and moves 500m and so on. Find the displacement after 1) 5th turn 2) 3rd turn (assume each turn is clockwise from the man's point of view.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing a diagram and I think it looks like an equilateral triangle with the man going through the same path after every 3rd turn. And so after some counting I concluded that the answers are 1) 500m and 2) 0m . But the correct answers are 500 and 1000 m respectively. Is my method wrong? How do i solve this?
I think you're turning by 120° .

Likes takando12
SammyS said:
I think you're turning by 120° .
oh. I took the angle with respect to the backward path. Stupid mistake. Anyway does it turn out to be a hexagon now? I am able to get the right answers.
Thanks a lot sir.

takando12 said:
oh. I took the angle with respect to the backward path. Stupid mistake. Anyway does it turn out to be a hexagon now? I am able to get the right answers.
Thanks a lot sir.
Yes, a hexagon.

Likes takando12

What is the displacement problem?

The displacement problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the position of an object after a certain amount of time has passed. It takes into account the initial position, velocity, and acceleration of the object.

What is the significance of solving the 5th and 3rd turn in the displacement problem?

Solving for the 5th and 3rd turn in the displacement problem allows us to accurately predict the position of the object at specific points in time. This is important in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, where precise measurements and predictions are crucial.

What are the different methods of solving the displacement problem?

There are several methods for solving the displacement problem, including using equations of motion, graphing the object's position versus time, and using calculus to find the object's position at any given time.

What are some real-life applications of the displacement problem?

The displacement problem has many real-life applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, calculating the position of an object in a moving vehicle, and determining the distance traveled by an athlete during a race.

How can I improve my understanding of the displacement problem?

To improve your understanding of the displacement problem, it is important to practice solving different types of problems and to familiarize yourself with the relevant equations and concepts. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.