1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement Problems

1. Aug 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rocket starts from rest and accelerates for 3.50 s with an acceleration of 5.00 m/s². If it continues to rise until its velocity is zero, what will be its maximum height?

2. Relevant equations
    I thought I had to use the "UNIFORM MOTION with CONSTANT ACCELERATION" formula, which is d=vi*t+(1/2)*a*t²
    d = distance
    vi = initial velocity
    t = time
    a = acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution
    d = 0*3.5+(1/2)(5.00 m/s²)(3.5)²

I am not sure whether I set up the problem correctly or not.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2009 #2

drizzle

Gold Member

hey cyspope,
    what's the velocity of the rocket after 3.50 s? use this velocity* to determine the extra displacement, [this will be the initial velocity vo], you may use the velocity & displacement equation.

* note the rocket will be decelerating under the effect of g = 9.8 m/s2 till the velocity reaches zero.

4. Aug 24, 2009 #3
    It doesn't says about the velocity of the rocket after 3.50 s. and How would you apply the gravity, which is 9.8 m/s² into the equation?

5. Aug 24, 2009 #4

drizzle

Gold Member

hint:

6. Aug 24, 2009 #5

drizzle

Gold Member

don't forget, there're two different displacements, d1 [which you can calculate using the first part of the question], and d2 [as described above]. the maximum displacement [height] is then d1+d2

7. Aug 2, 2011 #6
    Is the answer 63.125 m?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook