Displacement Vector Homework: Magnitude & Direction

In summary, the conversation is about a runner jogging around a circular track with a diameter of 160 ft. The question is asked about the magnitude and direction of the runner's displacement vector at various points on the track, including 1/4 lap, 1/2 lap, and a full lap. The conversation also mentions confusion and attempts to solve the problem using a diagram and geometry. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a request for clarification on the coordinates of the runner's starting and ending points.
Kitty808

Homework Statement

A runner jogs around a circular track 160 ft in diameter, what is the magnitude of the displacement vector when the runner has completed 1/4 of a lap? 1/2 a lap? What is the direction of the runner's displacement vector at 1/4 and 1/2 a lap? What is the magnitude of the runners displacement vector when a full lap is completed?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I am pretty much clueless on this, even after spending an hour reading my textbook. (I'm -really- bad at physics). I calculated the circumference of the track to be 502 ft which makes 1/4 of the track 125.5 ft. But the online software said that the magnitude of 1/4 of a lap should be 113 ft. How did they get this number. Also the magnitude of a complete lap is obviously 0 ft, but I'm not sure how to go about solving for the directions either. Any help would be appreciated, like I said, I'm pretty clueless XD.

Physics news on Phys.org
Make yourself a diagram. Draw an arrow from where the runner starts to where he finishes. That's his displacement vector. Use a bit of trig/geometry to find its magnitude.

I tried that and only ended up confusing myself more, I can usually figure out displacement vectors for something that's one direction, then another, but this whole circle thing is throwing me off

Show the diagram that you drew.

Or tell me the coordinates of the runner's starting point and ending point. (I don't know where he starts or whether he runs clockwise or counterclockwise, so I can only guess.)

For example, let's say the radius of the circle was R (with the center at the origin) and that he starts at point (R, 0) and runs 1/4 lap and ends up at point (0, R). What's the distance between those two points?

1. What is a displacement vector?

A displacement vector is a mathematical representation of the movement of an object from one point to another. It includes both magnitude (distance) and direction (angle) of the movement.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a displacement vector?

The magnitude of a displacement vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is the square root of the sum of the squared x and y components of the vector.

3. How do you determine the direction of a displacement vector?

The direction of a displacement vector can be determined using trigonometric functions, specifically the inverse tangent function. The direction is represented by the angle between the vector and a reference line.

4. Can a displacement vector have a negative magnitude?

Yes, a displacement vector can have a negative magnitude. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction of the reference line used to determine the direction of the vector.

5. How is displacement vector homework typically used in physics?

Displacement vector homework is commonly used in physics to analyze the movement of objects in two or three dimensions. It is important in understanding concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and force.