1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement Vector problem

1. Sep 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Each of the displacement vectors and shown in Figure P1.38 has a magnitude of 3.00 m. Find the following values graphically. Report all angles counterclockwise from the positive x axis.

Figure P1.38
    [​IMG]
    (a) A+B=?
    magnitude m

60°
    (b) A - B=?
    magnitude
    m

°
    (c) B-A=?
    magnitude m

(d) A- 2B
    magnitude m
    °

2. Relevant equations

C=A+B C=B+A C= A+ (-B) maybe X= mcos(theta) Y=msin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

Ive been working on this problem for long time now, these vector properties are confusing, so far i manage to come up with some diffrent ways to get the resulant for part A but i dont know if im doing it right. first thing i try to connect A to B but extending the tail towards the head of B, then i mesuared the resultant, but got wrong answer. Same thing when I went from B to A, I dont know if connecting them right. I really need some one to shine some light on this one. When I do extend to B from A it turns out to be a Eqaultrail triangle, so the angle must be 60 deg where it meets.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

If you draw the 3rd side of the triangle formed by the two sides you've drawn on the picture... ie draw a vector from the head of B to the head of A, what vector is that?

4. Sep 12, 2007 #3
    turns out with the help of a niffty program, the resultant goes straight in the middle of the two vectors when you have A+B. This forms a pallrelagram with an angle of 60 deg at the end. I figure it out for myself, but I appreicate the response. I just stay with it for whole time, but sheer luck it started fitting together. I was able to answer all the parts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?