1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement vectors

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For all of the problems I am starting to do class we must use the equation above.
    I do not understand why we use i,j,k and how they are similar to x,y,z and how to use them.
    Please help! I was absent the day we learned this and it is a fast pace class and I am trying to understand this but can't seem to fully do so!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Its sort of the same thing, but not quite: i, j, and k are unit vectors in the x ,y, and z directions. Using x, y,and z subscripts, often imply magnitudes of the component vectors in those directions. So a vector 5i + 5j has a magnitiude of 5 units in the x direction and 5 units in the y direction. If you call the vector 5x + 5y, its easy to confuse yourself, as in your other post. So don't.
  4. Oct 5, 2010 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook