Displacement Vectors Homework: Magnitude & Direction

In summary, the problem asks for the displacement of an unsuspecting bird who is initially traveling east at 4.00 mph and experiences a constant acceleration of 0.300 m/s2 from a north wind for 3.50 seconds. By using the equations R=Vt+(1/2)At2 and Δv = a * Δt, the magnitude and direction of the bird's displacement are found using the horizontal and vertical components of velocity. The correct solution is found by first calculating the total displacement in the easterly direction, which is then combined with the displacement caused by the wind to find the final magnitude and direction of the bird's displacement during the time period. The answer is found to be (6.26
bnashville

Homework Statement

An unsuspecting bird is coasting along in an easterly direction at 4.00 mph when a strong wind from the north imparts a constant acceleration of 0.300 m/s2. If the acceleration from the wind lasts for 3.50 s, find the magnitude, r, and direction, θ, of the bird\'s displacement during this time period.

Homework Equations

R=Vt+(1/2)At2
Δv = a * Δt
Magnitude of a 2 component vector: A = √(Ax2 + Ay2)

The Attempt at a Solution

4.0 mph = 1.78816 m/s

I drew a picture, but I'm not even sure I drew it correctly - I've been working on this one problem for about 3 hours now with no correct solution.

Trying to deconstruct the vectors:

horizontally (east)
The bird is flying 1.7886 m/s

vertically
Δv = a * Δt
Δv = .3m/s^2 * 3.5s = 1.05m/s

From here I think I can find the angle of displacement, or
arcsin(1.05m/s) / (1.78816m/s) = 35.95826°

Then I try to use the formula they gave me, but this is probably where I start to go wrong if not aleady:

to find magnitude of velocity vector: √(1.78816^2 + 1.05^2) = 2.0734 m/s

R = (2.0736*3.5s) + 1/2(.3)*3.52

Using this and several variations, I've found the following (wrong) answers for R (magnitude of displacement): 7.2577, 4.9667 and 2.073

and this is as far as I can get in the problem. I've watched several videos on the subject and just can't seem to put the problem together properly.

Thanks in advance for the help!

bnashville

Physics news on Phys.org
bnashville said:

Homework Statement

An unsuspecting bird is coasting along in an easterly direction at 4.00 mph when a strong wind from the north imparts a constant acceleration of 0.300 m/s2. If the acceleration from the wind lasts for 3.50 s, find the magnitude, r, and direction, θ, of the bird\'s displacement during this time period.

Homework Equations

R=Vt+(1/2)At2
Δv = a * Δt
Magnitude of a 2 component vector: A = √(Ax2 + Ay2)

The Attempt at a Solution

4.0 mph = 1.78816 m/s

I drew a picture, but I'm not even sure I drew it correctly - I've been working on this one problem for about 3 hours now with no correct solution.

Trying to deconstruct the vectors:

horizontally (east)
The bird is flying 1.7886 m/s

vertically
Δv = a * Δt

From here I think I can find the angle of displacement, or
arcsin(1.05m/s) / (1.78816m/s) = 35.95826°

Then I try to use the formula they gave me, but this is probably where I start to go wrong if not aleady:

to find magnitude of velocity vector: √(1.78816^2 + 1.05^2) = 2.0734 m/s

R = (2.0736*3.5s) + 1/2(.3)*3.52

Using this and several variations, I've found the following (wrong) answers for R (magnitude of displacement): 7.2577, 4.9667 and 2.073

and this is as far as I can get in the problem. I've watched several videos on the subject and just can't seem to put the problem together properly.

Thanks in advance for the help!

bnashville

You need to find the displacement vector for the time period of the wind acceleration, not the change in velocity in the easterly direction.

So instead of this:

Δv = a * Δt

figure out what the total displacement in the easterly direction is. Then the displacement vector is just the 2 components: the constant displacement in the easterly direction, and the total displacement in the southerly direction.

You need to find the displacement vector for the time period of the wind acceleration, not the change in velocity in the easterly direction.

So instead of this:

Δv = a * Δt

figure out what the total displacement in the easterly direction is. Then the displacement vector is just the 2 components: the constant displacement in the easterly direction, and the total displacement in the southerly direction.

Thanks! That pointed me in the right direction and helped a few things click. I used: x = x0 + vt to get:

1.7786m/s * 3.5s = 6.2251m (displacement east)

then used:
Δv= a * Δt = 1.05m/s (wind velocity to the south)

magnitude of displacement = Δv * Δt = 1.05 m/s * 6.251s = 6.5363m

This answer worked, but after answering that last part correctly, in the second part of the problem it reads: The displacement vector is:

[itex]\vec{r}[/itex] = (6.26m) [itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + (1.84m) [itex]\hat{j}[/itex]

None of that makes any sense to me, since I haven't seen those numbers before. Is there another way to do the same problem? How did they get those numbers?

Nevermind, I found my answer. Case closed, thanks!

bnashville said:
Nevermind, I found my answer. Case closed, thanks!

Sweet! :smile:

What is a displacement vector?

A displacement vector is a mathematical representation of the distance and direction between two points. It is typically represented graphically as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

How do you calculate the magnitude of a displacement vector?

The magnitude of a displacement vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length of the vector is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the x and y components of the vector.

What is the difference between magnitude and direction in a displacement vector?

Magnitude refers to the length or size of the vector, while direction refers to the angle or orientation of the vector. Both are necessary to fully describe a displacement vector.

What units are used to measure displacement vector magnitude?

Displacement vector magnitude is typically measured in units of length, such as meters or feet, depending on the system of measurement being used.

How do you represent a displacement vector on a coordinate plane?

A displacement vector can be represented on a coordinate plane by plotting the starting point of the vector at the origin and drawing an arrow to the ending point of the vector. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.