Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Displacement vs Time graph converted to Velocity vs time graph with no slope given

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have the coords (5.0,0.5), (3.9,1.0), etc.(all can be eyeballed because of no slope.)

If I divided y/x = y of velocity vs time graph (sorry, I dont know how else to put it.)
    I would get (5.0, 0.1) and respectively (3.9, .256) for the second cords, and these would be for the velocity vs time graph.

I think I am doing it wrong.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Re: Displacement vs Time graph converted to Velocity vs time graph with no slope give

You have a plot of y values versus time? To find the slope of this in some region, you calculate delta y and divide it by delta t, where delta y is the change in y, and delta t is the change in time, in that region. This gives you one point to be plotted on your new velocity versus time graph.

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3
    Re: Displacement vs Time graph converted to Velocity vs time graph with no slope give

When you say same region, do you mean same line segments?

5. Sep 20, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I didn't anywhere say same region. I said some region, meaning any region. :smile:

Each velocity value you determine is best plotted as a point lying above the midpoint of the time segment, delta t, that was used in determining that velocity value.

6. Sep 20, 2011 #5

Ok thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook