• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Displacement vs Time graph converted to Velocity vs time graph with no slope given

1. Homework Statement

I have the coords (5.0,0.5), (3.9,1.0), etc.(all can be eyeballed because of no slope.)

If I divided y/x = y of velocity vs time graph (sorry, I dont know how else to put it.)
I would get (5.0, 0.1) and respectively (3.9, .256) for the second cords, and these would be for the velocity vs time graph.

I think I am doing it wrong.

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:

NascentOxygen

Mentor
Re: Displacement vs Time graph converted to Velocity vs time graph with no slope give

You have a plot of y values versus time? To find the slope of this in some region, you calculate delta y and divide it by delta t, where delta y is the change in y, and delta t is the change in time, in that region. This gives you one point to be plotted on your new velocity versus time graph.

Re: Displacement vs Time graph converted to Velocity vs time graph with no slope give

When you say same region, do you mean same line segments?

NascentOxygen

Mentor

When you say same region, do you mean same line segments?
I didn't anywhere say same region. I said some region, meaning any region. :smile:

Each velocity value you determine is best plotted as a point lying above the midpoint of the time segment, delta t, that was used in determining that velocity value.

I didn't anywhere say same region. I said some region, meaning any region. :smile:

Each velocity value you determine is best plotted as a point lying above the midpoint of the time segment, delta t, that was used in determining that velocity value.
Ok thanks.