1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement vs Time graph converted to Velocity vs time graph with no slope given

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have the coords (5.0,0.5), (3.9,1.0), etc.(all can be eyeballed because of no slope.)

If I divided y/x = y of velocity vs time graph (sorry, I dont know how else to put it.)
    I would get (5.0, 0.1) and respectively (3.9, .256) for the second cords, and these would be for the velocity vs time graph.

I think I am doing it wrong.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Re: Displacement vs Time graph converted to Velocity vs time graph with no slope give

You have a plot of y values versus time? To find the slope of this in some region, you calculate delta y and divide it by delta t, where delta y is the change in y, and delta t is the change in time, in that region. This gives you one point to be plotted on your new velocity versus time graph.

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3
    Re: Displacement vs Time graph converted to Velocity vs time graph with no slope give

When you say same region, do you mean same line segments?

5. Sep 20, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I didn't anywhere say same region. I said some region, meaning any region. :smile:

Each velocity value you determine is best plotted as a point lying above the midpoint of the time segment, delta t, that was used in determining that velocity value.

6. Sep 20, 2011 #5

Ok thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook