1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacements on a grid

1. Jun 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We fit the plane with a coordinate system, and we consider the set of points with coordinates in ##\mathbb{N}\times\mathbb{N} ##. To link two points in this coordinate system, we only allow unit displacements, and only increasing displacements.
    In how many ways can one reach point ##(a,b)## starting from ##(0,0)## ?

2. Relevant equations

##d_i## is the direction of axis ##i##, ##i = 1,2##

3. The attempt at a solution

There will be ##a## displacements in direction ##d_1##, and ##b## displacements in direction ##d_2##, for a total of ##a+b## displacements.
    Since there are only two kinds of displacements, it fully describes a possible way to choose once and for all a direction, and to assign an order of appearance in ##[[1..a+b]]## for each displacements in this direction, among all displacements.
    Let us choose ##d_1##. The number of possible ways to link ##(0,0)## and ##(a,b)## is reduced to finding the number of parts of cardinal ##a## in ##[[1..a+b]]##, which is ##\binom {a+b} {a}##.
    Do you agree with the reasoning ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2016 #2
    Hi geoffrey:

Looks good to me.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Jun 6, 2016 #3
    Ok, thanks !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted