Optimizing "arg" in I for m values between 1 and M - Latex Help

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: Yes, now it works. Thanks alot.Thanks alphysicist for replying, but the code you gave did not work in my case. I forgot to mention this expression is an in-line expression, I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem.Best regards
EngWiPy
Hello

In the following, I need [tex]1\leq m\leq M[/tex] to be exactly under "arg", How can I do that?

[tex]I=\text{arg}_{\substack{1\leq m\leq M}[/tex]

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi S_David,

S_David said:
Hello

In the following, I need [tex]1\leq m\leq M[/tex] to be exactly under "arg", How can I do that?

[tex]I=\text{arg}_{\substack{1\leq m\leq M}[/tex]

Thanks in advance

How about this:

Code:
I=\mathop{\mbox{arg}}_{1\le m \le M}

which gives:

[tex]I=\mathop{\mbox{arg}}_{1\le m \le M}[/tex]

alphysicist said:
Hi S_David,

How about this:

Code:
I=\mathop{\mbox{arg}}_{1\le m \le M}

which gives:

[tex]I=\mathop{\mbox{arg}}_{1\le m \le M}[/tex]

Thanks alphysicist for replying, but the code you gave did not work in my case. I forgot to mention this expression is an in-line expression, I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem.

Best regards

S_David said:
Thanks alphysicist for replying, but the code you gave did not work in my case. I forgot to mention this expression is an in-line expression, I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem.

Best regards

You can force it by using displaystyle:

Code:
I=\displaystyle{\mathop{\mbox{arg}}_{1\le m \le M}}

but of course that will put extra spacing between the lines of your text.

Why do you want this to appear under "arg" anyway? If you want the minimum or maximum value over a range of arguments, then it would be underneath "min" or "max," and if you want the argument that results in the minimum or maximum of the expression, then it should be "argmin" or "argmax", but what the heck is just "arg" ?

alphysicist said:
You can force it by using displaystyle:

Code:
I=\displaystyle{\mathop{\mbox{arg}}_{1\le m \le M}}

but of course that will put extra spacing between the lines of your text.

Yes, now it works. Thanks alot.

Regards

junglebeast said:
Why do you want this to appear under "arg" anyway? If you want the minimum or maximum value over a range of arguments, then it would be underneath "min" or "max," and if you want the argument that results in the minimum or maximum of the expression, then it should be "argmin" or "argmax", but what the heck is just "arg" ?

I neither want the argument of max nor min values, I need the argument of an arbitrary value m. Of cource, I didn't write the whole expression because it doesn't affect what I want.

Regards

1. What is the purpose of optimizing "arg" in I for m values between 1 and M?

The purpose of optimizing "arg" in I for m values between 1 and M is to find the most efficient and effective way to determine the argument of a given function within a specified range of m values. This is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as signal processing, optimization, and control systems.

2. How can I optimize "arg" in I for m values between 1 and M?

To optimize "arg" in I for m values between 1 and M, you can use various techniques such as gradient descent, genetic algorithms, or simulated annealing. These methods involve iteratively evaluating the function at different values of m and adjusting the value of "arg" until the optimum value is reached.

3. What are the benefits of optimizing "arg" in I for m values between 1 and M?

The benefits of optimizing "arg" in I for m values between 1 and M include improved accuracy and efficiency in determining the argument of a function, as well as the ability to handle a wider range of m values. This can lead to better performance and results in various applications.

4. Can "arg" in I be optimized for any type of function?

Yes, "arg" in I can be optimized for any type of function, as long as it is well-defined and has a single argument that can be optimized. However, the specific method of optimization may vary depending on the properties of the function.

5. Is there a limit to the number of m values that can be optimized for "arg" in I?

There is no specific limit to the number of m values that can be optimized for "arg" in I. However, the time and computational resources required for optimization may increase with a larger range of m values. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs between accuracy and efficiency when deciding on the range of m values to optimize for.