Disposition of Pu240 in Spent/Used Nuclear Fuel

In summary, the article discusses the implications of separating Pu-240 from spent fuel, which include reduced production of Am-241 and decreased decay heat in MOX fuel. This would have advantages for both reactivity control and final repository loading. However, the technical challenges of isotope separation for Pu-240 make this option economically unfeasible. The conversation also mentions the possibility of removing Am-241 through chemical separation, but it is noted that this would still require storage and does not address the issue of Pu-240. There is also discussion about the influence of Am-241 on reactivity, with some confusion about its contribution. Overall, the article and conversation highlight the complex considerations involved in managing spent fuel and the challenges of reducing higher act
eXorikos
I just finished an article on the implications of separating Pu-240 from SNF. The implications are pissvly huge, but the article does not consider the technical issues for laser separation.

I am familiar with the concept of resonance laser ionization. I am not aware of any real initiative that areclose to cracking this problem on a scale that is appropriate for separating SNF. Perhaps somebody here can give an overview.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the purpose of separating Pu-240 from spent fuel? If you wanted weapons material, and you have the means to separate Pu-240, you could separate U-235 much more easily, and not having to deal with extreme radioactive materials in hot cells. Or just make clean Pu from a production reactor to begin with.

This has several advantages. One being less production of Am-241. This makes reacivity control easier and less expensive as you need less neutronflux, because there is less poison.

Secondly, it also has avantages from a fuel repository perspective. The decay heat from this type of MOX will be less than that of current MOX. Decay heat is one of the most determining factors for final repository loading. Current MOX although recycling SNF has more decay heat on the longer term. It therefore does not decrease the volume required for final repository. MOX with reduced Pu-240 content would reduce the higher actinides being produced and therefore the decay heat on the long term.

Edit: here is the article: http://www.ans.org/pubs/journals/nt/a_36800

eXorikos said:
This has several advantages. One being less production of Am-241. This makes reacivity control easier and less expensive as you need less neutronflux, because there is less poison.

Separation of Pu-240 from spent fuel would be way, way more expensive then just buying more fresh fuel even if that were true. But neutron absorption by Am-241 is pretty much completely negligible. The main absorbers in spent fuel are fission products - gadolinium, samarium, cadmium, europium, etc.

eXorikos said:
Secondly, it also has avantages from a fuel repository perspective. The decay heat from this type of MOX will be less than that of current MOX. Decay heat is one of the most determining factors for final repository loading. Current MOX although recycling SNF has more decay heat on the longer term. It therefore does not decrease the volume required for final repository. MOX with reduced Pu-240 content would reduce the higher actinides being produced and therefore the decay heat on the long term.

Edit: here is the article: http://www.ans.org/pubs/journals/nt/a_36800

Separating out all plutonium from spent fuel is one thing - but isotope separation of Pu-240 is a whole different game.

I'm not an expert on MOX but I presume MOX fuel is created from downblended weapons grade Pu and already has low Pu-240 content. It is not created from spent fuel.

QuantumPion said:
Separation of Pu-240 from spent fuel would be way, way more expensive then just buying more fresh fuel even if that were true. But neutron absorption by Am-241 is pretty much completely negligible. The main absorbers in spent fuel are fission products - gadolinium, samarium, cadmium, europium, etc.
Separating out all plutonium from spent fuel is one thing - but isotope separation of Pu-240 is a whole different game.

I'm not an expert on MOX but I presume MOX fuel is created from downblended weapons grade Pu and already has low Pu-240 content. It is not created from spent fuel.
It does not go by the economics because there is simply not an economic way to do this separation. It simply discusses the technical consequences. This is the discussion I want to have. Purely academic.

Am-241 is a poison in your fuel. We even have to adjust for its concentrations in our core calculations, since the core package we use underestimates its concentration. I don't have an order of magnitude in mind, but I can ask at work tomorrow.

MOX fuel is produced from reprocessed SNF. This is was done in Belgium in the past, Belgium has moved to a fully open fuel cycle since.

Am-241 captures are very small contribution - less than U-234 or Pu-238. It has a decent cross section but its concentration is small. Its contribution to reactivity is not significant. You may be thinking of decay of Pu-241 into Am-241, which does have a significant effect on reactivity as your fuel is decaying away.

QuantumPion said:
Am-241 captures are very small contribution - less than U-234 or Pu-238. It has a decent cross section but its concentration is small. Its contribution to reactivity is not significant. You may be thinking of decay of Pu-241 into Am-241, which does have a significant effect on reactivity as your fuel is decaying away.
I indeed mixed a few things. Am-241 is one of the main contributers to decay heat. Its concentration would be reduced by 1/3 by eliminating the Pu-240 content through recycling.

Replacing the Pu-240 by U-238 is better for reactivity purposes. Pu-241 decays to Am-241 which indeed has low absorption cross section, while U-238 is fertile to Pu-239 which is fissile.

I am still a bit confused on the influence of the Am-241 on the reactivity, but I will check on that later.

Why remove Pu-240 by isotope separation, which is very very hard, when you can just remove Am-241 by chemical separation, which is comparatively easy as pie?

QuantumPion said:
Why remove Pu-240 by isotope separation, which is very very hard, when you can just remove Am-241 by chemical separation, which is comparatively easy as pie?
But you still have the Am-241 you have to store... It is produced less when you replace the Pu-240 by U-238.

eXorikos said:
But you still have the Am-241 you have to store... It is produced less when you replace the Pu-240 by U-238.

Well you would still have to store the Pu-240. I don't see how that is much of an improvement.

eXorikos said:
I am still a bit confused on the influence of the Am-241 on the reactivity, but I will check on that later.

i too am curious about that isotope's contribution. From what i understand it accumulates in MOX fuel if you don't start burning the MOX within a decade or so.? And it yields over 3 neutrons ?

jim hardy said:
i too am curious about that isotope's contribution. From what i understand it accumulates in MOX fuel if you don't start burning the MOX within a decade or so.?

Yes, from decay of Pu-241 (half life 14 y).

jim hardy said:
And it yields over 3 neutrons ?

Am-241 is fissionable but its capture cross section is much higher.

QuantumPion said:
Am-241 is fissionable but its capture cross section is much higher.

Thanks ! You gave me the clue what to put in search..

am241_f1.jpg

old jim

QuantumPion said:
Well you would still have to store the Pu-240. I don't see how that is much of an improvement.
Have you read the article?

I really wanted to discuss the current state of laser isotope separation techniques.

The article requires subscription or purchase. Not everyone might have access to it.

Laser isotopic separation works better as the difference in mass increases.

Am I allowed to copy it here or is that illadvised?

Doesn't it depend more on the ionizationscheme than on the mass difference?

I know this works on the nuclear level for example in CERN ISOLDE, by using the hyperfine interactions. But doing this on an industrial scale, I guess they use molecules. At least they do for U. Is the principle the same for Pu?

Last edited:
It does not make much sense to think about technical side of Pu-240 isotope separation since this won't be economical. Whatever problem you are trying to fix with that, there are less expensive fixes than isotope separation of Pu.

eXorikos said:
I know this works on the nuclear level for example in CERN ISOLDE, by using the hyperfine interactions. But doing this on an industrial scale, I guess they use molecules. At least they do for U. Is the principle the same for Pu?
It would be same principle, but for U-enrichment, there is a 3 amu difference between U-235 and U-238, whereas with Pu, one would be trying to separate Pu-240 from Pu-239 and Pu-241, so the difference in frequency is not as great. Isotopes are very similar chemically.

Likes eXorikos
nikkkom said:
It does not make much sense to think about technical side of Pu-240 isotope separation since this won't be economical. Whatever problem you are trying to fix with that, there are less expensive fixes than isotope separation of Pu.
It is called academic curiosity.

Astronuc said:
It would be same principle, but for U-enrichment, there is a 3 amu difference between U-235 and U-238, whereas with Pu, one would be trying to separate Pu-240 from Pu-239 and Pu-241, so the difference in frequency is not as great. Isotopes are very similar chemically.
Which molecule could you use? They use UF6 to UF5, which precipitates. Would this work for Pu as well?

Recent advances have made it possible to use two-step laser ionization at much higher power while keeping the bandwith of the laser very low (~10MHz).

eXorikos said:
Which molecule could you use? They use UF6 to UF5, which precipitates. Would this work for Pu as well?

Recent advances have made it possible to use two-step laser ionization at much higher power while keeping the bandwith of the laser very low (~10MHz).
In theory it would work, but with a 1 amu difference, it is likely uneconomical. Reprocessing of spent fuel is already expensive, and the separation of Pu-240 would not improve the economics.

QuantumPion said:
What is the purpose of separating Pu-240 from spent fuel? If you wanted weapons material, and you have the means to separate Pu-240, you could separate U-235 much more easily, and not having to deal with extreme radioactive materials in hot cells.
Then you are still stuck with critical mass thrice that of Pu-239.
The one useful alternative would be U-233, which also is less hot than Pu-239.

1. What is Pu240 and why is it important in nuclear fuel?

Pu240, also known as plutonium-240, is a fissile isotope of plutonium that is produced as a byproduct in nuclear reactors. It is important because it can undergo nuclear fission, releasing large amounts of energy, and thus plays a crucial role in the functioning of nuclear reactors.

2. How is Pu240 disposed of in spent/used nuclear fuel?

Pu240 is typically disposed of along with other radioactive waste in a specialized facility designed to safely contain and store the waste. This can include disposal in deep geological repositories or reprocessing to separate and recycle usable materials.

3. Is the disposition of Pu240 in spent/used nuclear fuel safe?

Yes, the disposal of Pu240 in spent/used nuclear fuel is carefully regulated and monitored to ensure the safety of both humans and the environment. Numerous safety measures are implemented during the disposal process, and the waste is stored in secure facilities to prevent any potential release of radiation.

4. Can Pu240 be reused or recycled from spent/used nuclear fuel?

Yes, Pu240 can potentially be recycled and reused in the production of new nuclear fuel. This process is known as reprocessing and involves separating the usable materials from the spent fuel and converting them into new fuel. However, reprocessing can also pose its own safety and security risks and is not currently widely practiced.

5. What are the long-term effects of Pu240 in spent/used nuclear fuel on the environment?

The long-term effects of Pu240 in spent/used nuclear fuel on the environment depend on the disposal method chosen and the effectiveness of the containment and storage facilities. If properly contained and stored, the effects should be minimal. However, if a release were to occur, Pu240 can pose serious health and environmental risks due to its high radioactivity and long half-life.