1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dissertation supervisors - reference quality vs quality of supervision

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1
    I am wondering who to ask to supervise my dissertation (I'm in final year undergraduate mathematics). My interest is functional analysis and there two members of staff involved in this area.
    X is a professor and he is well respected, Y has been a lecturer here for about four years and is well respected here, but I'm not sure how well known he is outside of here (by "here" i mean our university).
    I know that I can work with y, as I've done a small project with him and he was incredibly helpful. I'm not sure if X would be willing to devote quite so much time as Y to supervising me, though I'm sure he would give plenty.
    My basic problem is that I know that a reference from X would look a lot better, but that I also know that I'd probably work a little better with Y.
    Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted