1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dissipating charge

1. Aug 3, 2006 #1
    A friend of mine has given me a physics problem to solve. Here it is:
    Two small equally charged spheres, each of mass [itex]m[/itex], are suspended from the same point by silk threads of length [itex]\ell[/itex]. The distance between the spheres [itex]x << \ell[/itex]. Find the rate [tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex] with which the charge leaks off each sphere if their approach velocity varies as [tex]v = \frac{a}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex], where [itex]a[/itex] is a constant. ​
    I started by writing down the forces:
    [tex]mg\tan{\theta} = \frac{q^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 x^2}[/tex]
    Since [itex]x << \ell[/itex], I concluded that [itex]\sin{\theta} \approx \tan{\theta}[/itex]. I rewrote the above force equation with sin instead of tan.

After this, I started doing things randomly. At first, I tried using angular speed with [itex]\ell[/itex] as the radius of rotation, but that seemed unnecessarily complicated.

So I went back and differentiated both sides of the first equation. I don't know if this is correct, but I let [itex]\cos{\theta}[/itex] be 1 since [itex]\theta \approx 0[/itex]. So, using the quotient rule, I had:
    [tex]mg = \frac{1}{2\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{q^2(\frac{dx}{dt}) - q\frac{dq}{dt}}{x^3}[/tex]
    At this point, since [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{a}{\sqrt{x}}[/itex], I started substituting things in. However, I ended up with charge as a function of time, distance as a function of time, and the time derivative of the charge function all in one equation - unsolvable.

The other way that I tried it was to start from the premise that [itex]\ell \frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{a}{\sqrt{x}}[/itex] and go from there. But I don't know if this is the correct way either.

Basically, I have no idea what I'm doing. My friend said this is an easy problem, but I am stumped. Am I approaching this incorrectly?

Thanks for the assistance.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Solve your original equation for q and approximate [itex]\theta[/itex] with x/l. Then differentiate q with respect to time. You should end up with dq/dt being constant within this approximation.

[Note: you may need to make minor adjustments to the preceding depending on whether your angle is the half-angle or full angle.]

4. Aug 4, 2006 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

I don't think one should assume that the spheres are in equilibrium. That is

[tex]T\sin(\theta) - F_Q = m\ddot{x}[/tex]

since

[tex]v_x(x) \Rightarrow v_x(t)[/tex]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  5. Aug 4, 2006 #4
    Thanks - I have found my errors now. I had to approximate [itex]\theta[/itex] with [itex]\frac{x}{2\ell}[/itex].

For those who are interested, the answer is:
    [tex]
    \frac{dq}{dt} = \frac{3}{2}a\sqrt{\frac{2\pi \epsilon_0 mg}{\ell}}
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?