What is the dissociation constant for hydroflouric acid?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the dissociation constant for hydroflouric acid (HF) based on its pH and concentration. It involves using the pH to find the concentration of hydrogen ions, then using that information and the given concentration of HF to solve for the dissociation constant using the equation K=[H3O+][F-]/[HF]. The conversation also touches on the ionization of HF and the importance of considering constraints such as charge balance and mass balance.
ChemRookie
I understand this tells us how strongly binded a solution is.
So I hve hydroflouric acid, it says it contains 2.0g of HF per litre and has a PH of 2.2. How do I figure what the dissociation constant for HF is?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
use the ph to find the concentration of H+

remember pH = -log[H+] => [H+] = 10^-pH

use the info they gave you about the amount of HF to get molarity of HF solution.

HF ---> H(+) + F(-)

[F-] = [H+] (neglecting dissociation of H20)

then use the defintion for the dissociation constant

Last edited:
JFo said:
use the ph to find the concentration of H+

remember pH = -log[H+] => [H+] = 10^-pH

use the info they gave you about the amount of HF to get molarity of HF solution.

[F-] = [HF] - [H+]

then use the defintion for the dissociation constant

oh boy, I have hated this equilibrium unit.

I don't follow exactly. can you define some of the things? and is molarity (moles)? that be 0.1.

A good idea is to list all knowns first.

You've been given the strength of the solution in grams per litre. You have to convert it into moles per litre first (Molarity). Molarity = moles of solute per litre of solution. Then, consider the ionization of HF and account for how much HF has reacted and what concentration H+ and F- ions have been formed as a result.

Cheers
Vivek

ChemRookie, I received your message. Here goes.

Molarity = number of moles of solute per litre of solution

Molarity of HF before ionization = moles of HF given to you/volume of solution in litres. Let this equal a.

Now, consider the ionization of HF:

:::::::::: HF----------------->H+ + F-
t = 0_____a_______________ ~0____0
t = teq___a-x_______________x_____x

Here x is the concentration of HF that has been consumed during the ionization so that at equilibrium, H+ and F- are formed in equal amounts, i.e. x.

The crucial step: Note that I have put a ~ sign in the first line below H+. This is to indicate that the solution contains some amount of hydrogen ions due to the autoionization of water which we have neglected due to its small value. It is conceptually incorrect to say that H+ in such a solution is zero before HF ionizes. However, once HF has ionized then you can make an order of magnitude approximation and say that almost all the hydrogen ions (or more precisely hydronium ions) in solution are due to ionization of HF. Its like this: if x = 4 then [itex]4 + 10^{-7}[/itex] (example) is approximately 4.

Now,

[tex]K_{c} = \frac{[H^+][F^-]}{[HF]}[/tex]

REMEMBER: These are molarities in the square brackets.

Now you should be able to use the definition of pH and solve the problem. Stated differently this is precisely what JFo told you:

"All the H+ and F- come from HF so the initial concentration of HF = concentration of HF at any time t + concentration of H+ (or F-) at that time."

Please try all this on paper and do many equilibrium problems after this to come to terms with the methods which look complex initially. You should look for constraints like charge balance, mass balance, etc.

Hope that helps...

cheers
Vivek

PS--the underscores are for spacing only...I couldn't figure out how to make that table well spaced :-D

Last edited:
maverick280857 said:
ChemRookie, I received your message. Here goes.

Molarity = number of moles of solute per litre of solution

Molarity of HF before ionization = moles of HF given to you/volume of solution in litres. Let this equal a.

Now, consider the ionization of HF:

:::::::::: HF----------------->H+ + F-
t = 0_____a_______________ ~0____0
t = teq___a-x_______________x_____x

Here x is the concentration of HF that has been consumed during the ionization so that at equilibrium, H+ and F- are formed in equal amounts, i.e. x.

The crucial step: Note that I have put a ~ sign in the first line below H+. This is to indicate that the solution contains some amount of hydrogen ions due to the autoionization of water which we have neglected due to its small value. It is conceptually incorrect to say that H+ in such a solution is zero before HF ionizes. However, once HF has ionized then you can make an order of magnitude approximation and say that almost all the hydrogen ions (or more precisely hydronium ions) in solution are due to ionization of HF. Its like this: if x = 4 then [itex]4 + 10^{-7}[/itex] (example) is approximately 4.

Now,

[tex]K_{c} = \frac{[H^+][F^-]}{[HF]}[/tex]

REMEMBER: These are molarities in the square brackets.

Now you should be able to use the definition of pH and solve the problem. Stated differently this is precisely what JFo told you:

"All the H+ and F- come from HF so the initial concentration of HF = concentration of HF at any time t + concentration of H+ (or F-) at that time."

Please try all this on paper and do many equilibrium problems after this to come to terms with the methods which look complex initially. You should look for constraints like charge balance, mass balance, etc.

Hope that helps...

cheers
Vivek

PS--the underscores are for spacing only...I couldn't figure out how to make that table well spaced :-D

thanks for your effort. I get it more, but I am still not comfortable with this.
I'm going to need to give it a look more later, and keep looking back at it more and more.

I understand this tells us how strongly binded a solution is.
So I hve hydroflouric acid, it says it contains 2.0g of HF per litre and has a PH of 2.2. How do I figure what the dissociation constant for HF is?

[tex]K=[H30+][F-]/[HF][/tex]

In the case of a simple dissociation of a monoprotic acid

[tex]K=[x][x]/[initial~conc.~acid~-x][/tex]

note that all you'll need to solve for K is x, and the initial concentration.

note that x is the hydronium concentration, which can be deduced using the pH.

note that the initial concentration can be found also, find the moles of HF, the volume is 1 L.

What is a dissociation constant?

A dissociation constant is a measure of the strength of a chemical bond between two or more molecules, or the tendency of a compound to dissociate into its components.

Why is dissociation constant important?

Dissociation constant is important because it helps us understand the stability and reactivity of chemical compounds. It also provides insight into the behavior of acids and bases, as well as the solubility of salts.

What is the equation for calculating dissociation constant?

The dissociation constant can be calculated using the equation Kd = [A][B]/[AB], where [A] and [B] represent the concentration of the dissociated molecules and [AB] represents the concentration of the undissociated molecule.

How does temperature affect dissociation constant?

Temperature can affect dissociation constant by altering the energy of the chemical bond. Generally, as temperature increases, the dissociation constant also increases due to the increased energy of the molecules.

What is the difference between dissociation constant and equilibrium constant?

Dissociation constant specifically refers to the strength of a bond or the tendency of a compound to dissociate, while equilibrium constant refers to the ratio of the concentrations of products and reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. Dissociation constant is a type of equilibrium constant, but it only considers the dissociation of a compound, while equilibrium constant considers all reactions in a system.