1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dissociation energy of NaCl, finding parameters and more questions

1. Apr 5, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The distance between the nuclei Na and Cl is [itex]R_0=0.236 nm[/itex]. The curvature of the potential energy is [itex]109J/m^2[/itex]. The potential of ionization of the Na is 5.1 eV while the electron affinity of the Cl is 3.65 eV. From these data, find the parameters [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex] in the potential [itex]V(r)=\frac{\alpha exp (-ar)}{r}-\frac{e^2}{4\pi \varepsilon _0r}[/itex] and find the energy of dissociation D. Compare this result with the experimental one: 4.22 eV.

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure.
    [itex]109J/m² =680.16 \frac{eV}{nm^2}[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I want to get [itex]R_0[/itex] in terms of alpha and a. So I derivated V(r) and equated to 0.
    This gave me [itex]\alpha e^{-aR_0}(aR_0+1)=\frac{e^2}{4\pi \varepsilon _0}[/itex]. I must isolate [itex]R_0[/itex], though this doesn't look like easy at all. Am I missing something?
    Second, when they talk about the "curvature", I assume they mean the curvature of [itex]V(R_0)[/itex], right? Should I approximate V(r) by a Taylor expansion of order 2 centered at R_0 to find the curvature in order to get K in terms of alpha and a? The curvature of a parabola is defined to be [itex]K=\frac{1}{2a(1+r)^{3/2}}[/itex].
    I've plotted V(r), more or less in http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+9*exp+(-1.7*x)/x+-+7/x+from+0+to+1. Since I don't know the constant alpha and a and that the graph changes drastically with a minor change in these parameters, the graph could be very wrong but at least it seems I can distinguish the minimum ([itex]R_0[/itex]).
    Also I have no idea how to find the dissociation energy D from the given data. I know it's the energy required to separate the 2 atoms infinitely far away. Wouldn't that just be [itex]V(R_0)[/itex]? That looks like too simple.
    Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?