1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dissociation energy ?

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The spectroscopic dissociation energy of 127-I2 is 1.542eV. What wavelength of light would be needed to dissociate the molecule and have the atoms move apart at velocities of 1000 m/s?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did was convert 1.542eV to joules which became 2.47x10^-19 joules/mol. After that I found the total energy per bond by dividing the energy be avagadro's number = 4.1x10^-43. Then plugged it into wavelength = hc/E = 4.8x10^17m. But this didn't look right. Am I going about it the wrong way? Or should I just go straight to wavelength = hc/E using the 1.542eV to find the wavelength. Or work backwards using KE=1/2 mv^2?

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

1.542 eV is energy required for 1 molecule to be dissociated. However, your light must carry more energy, as the atoms need kinetic energy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?