1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dissolution of LiCl•3H2O in LiCl solution

1. Apr 20, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

A liquid solution of LiCl in water at 25 C contains 1 mole of LiCl and 7 moles of water. If 1 mole of LiCl•3H2O is dissolved isothermally in this solution, what is the heat effect?

Here is my attempt with a relevant table and graph, but I wonder if my net equation represents the situation and if my intermediate reactions are okay. I just made the intermediates arranged to get the final equation the way I wanted. I can't really say how every intermediate reaction is representing the physical situation

Here is my attempt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2014 #2

Maylis

Gold Member

edited to put all photos on one post. I wish the phone app could flip the photos around instead of having to go onto my laptop

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  4. Apr 21, 2014 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I don't think you have to care about whole Hess cycle. Why don't you read heat of dissolution (from the plot) for both solutions as if they were prepared from water and anhydrous LiCl, and just subtract one from another?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted