Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dissolved air in the water

1. Jun 28, 2013 #1
    Air can be dissolved in water. I read some information that the dissolved air exists in the form of molecule, for example, oxygen can be dissolved in the water, and the fish can get dissolved oxygen from the water, which is said to be in the form of molecule, but I can not find related publication or pictures about the existence form of dissolved air or oxygen in the water.

Somebody can provide any information or articles about this topic?

i need to know whether the dissolved air affects the compressibility of the water, as air-bubbles definately do, but I dont know about dissolved air.

Thanks all guys.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Air is a mixture of different gases (nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and some trace gases) and as such does not exist as a single molecule. Each of the constituent gases in air can be dissolved in water.

Start with this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solution

You can use google to find out more information on gases dissolved in water.

4. Jun 28, 2013 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

My interests right now is that how does air or gas, eg, exygen, exist in the water?

5. Jun 28, 2013 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

"Dissolved" means not in bubbles, but evenly mixed.

6. Jun 30, 2013 #5
    so what kind of form if not bubble?

7. Jul 1, 2013 #6

NascentOxygen

Scattered single molecules.

8. Jul 1, 2013 #7
    is there relative literature and what kind of equipment can we use to observe the microstructure of air and water mixture?

9. Jul 1, 2013 #8

russ_watters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solution
    We can't see molecules, but we can detect them via experiments. For example, you can open a bottle of a sweet, refreshing carbonated beverage.

10. Jul 3, 2013 #9
    Is there any method to know how are, for example, oxygen and water moleculars bounded or arranged in the micro level? Or any relative literature references? Thanks a lot!

11. Jul 3, 2013 #10

russ_watters

I really don't see how what you are asking differs from what has already been covered. Could you be more specific/detailed please.

12. Jul 7, 2013 #11
    what I mean is how do oxygen molecular and water molecular arrange in the micro level? Is there any device available for us to observe the arrangement of the two kinds of moleculars? Any publications described the compressibility of the water with dissolved gas or air? Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook