How Do You Calculate Dissolved Oxygen Content for Catalytic Oxygen Removal?

• Thread starter Dean04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    oxygen
In summary, this is an essay on how to model a catalytic reactor that removes oxygen from water by reacting with hydrogen.
Dean04
As part of my project I am taking part in an experiment which involves the catalytic removal of oxygen through the use of hydrogen.
Is there an equation to calculate the dissolved oxygen content so that I can compare the experimental results to theory
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're going to need to provide more detail than this. Put yourself in our place. There is virtually no context for answering what you are asking.

Chet

Likes Dean04
Chestermiller said:
You're going to need to provide more detail than this. Put yourself in our place. There is virtually no context for answering what you are asking.

Chet
Apologies for such a vague thread. I'll try my best to explain in more detail. My University dissertation is the " Design of a Compact Deoxygenating System for Offshore Seawater injection"
There is an experiment involved which verity's the deoxygenation of water though a catalytic process. The water is fed through a test tube along with hydrogen until it meets the catalyst which is platinum on alumina pallets and then finally into a beaker. The dissolves oxygen content is measured through the use of a vernier dissolved oxygen sensor. This is repeated with the water at different temperatures and flow rates.

Once I have designed a deoxygenating system I want to compare my design with the experimental results in order to prove it actually works. However, as my design is just in theory and not real life I am looking for an equation in which I can use the parameters in my proposed design to calculate the dissolved oxygen content and compare it with the experimental results. My design will have the same principle as the experiment in the fact that the use of hydrogen and a catalyst will remove the oxygen levels.

Hope this is more clear.

Thanks,
Dean.

You are trying to model a catalytic reactor that removes oxygen from water by reacting with hydrogen. The hydrogen is in the feed to the reactor. Is it bubbles or is it also dissolved in the water? Your main question is, "how do I model such a catalytic reactor." Is this correct?

Chet

Bubbles and yes that's correct

Dean04 said:
Bubbles and yes that's correct
The basics of how to model catalytic reactors is beyond the extent of the material that we can conveniently present here. You need to get yourself a book on Chemical Reaction Engineering.

Chet

What is dissolved oxygen content?

Dissolved oxygen content refers to the amount of oxygen gas that is dissolved in water. It is a measure of the oxygen available to aquatic organisms in their natural habitats.

Why is dissolved oxygen content important?

Dissolved oxygen is essential for the survival of aquatic organisms, as they need oxygen for respiration. It also helps to maintain water quality and supports various biochemical processes in aquatic ecosystems.

What factors affect dissolved oxygen content?

The main factors that affect dissolved oxygen content include water temperature, atmospheric pressure, and the presence of photosynthetic organisms. Pollution and eutrophication can also decrease dissolved oxygen levels.

How is dissolved oxygen content measured?

Dissolved oxygen content is typically measured using a dissolved oxygen meter or a chemical titration method. These methods involve collecting a water sample and measuring the amount of dissolved oxygen present.

What happens if dissolved oxygen content is too low?

If dissolved oxygen content is too low, it can lead to hypoxia or anoxia, which can be harmful to aquatic organisms. It can also disrupt the balance of the ecosystem and result in the death of sensitive species.