Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dissolved Oxygen Content

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    As part of my project I am taking part in an experiment which involves the catalytic removal of oxygen through the use of hydrogen.
    Is there an equation to calculate the dissolved oxygen content so that I can compare the experimental results to theory
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2
    You're going to need to provide more detail than this. Put yourself in our place. There is virtually no context for answering what you are asking.

Chet

4. Nov 10, 2015 #3
    Apologies for such a vague thread. I'll try my best to explain in more detail. My University dissertation is the " Design of a Compact Deoxygenating System for Offshore Seawater injection"
    There is an experiment involved which verity's the deoxygenation of water though a catalytic process. The water is fed through a test tube along with hydrogen until it meets the catalyst which is platinum on alumina pallets and then finally into a beaker. The dissolves oxygen content is measured through the use of a vernier dissolved oxygen sensor. This is repeated with the water at different temperatures and flow rates.

Once I have designed a deoxygenating system I want to compare my design with the experimental results in order to prove it actually works. However, as my design is just in theory and not real life I am looking for an equation in which I can use the parameters in my proposed design to calculate the dissolved oxygen content and compare it with the experimental results. My design will have the same principle as the experiment in the fact that the use of hydrogen and a catalyst will remove the oxygen levels.

Hope this is more clear.

Thanks,
    Dean

5. Nov 10, 2015 #4
    You are trying to model a catalytic reactor that removes oxygen from water by reacting with hydrogen. The hydrogen is in the feed to the reactor. Is it bubbles or is it also dissolved in the water? Your main question is, "how do I model such a catalytic reactor." Is this correct?

Chet

6. Nov 11, 2015 #5
    Bubbles and yes that's correct

7. Nov 11, 2015 #6
    The basics of how to model catalytic reactors is beyond the extent of the material that we can conveniently present here. You need to get yourself a book on Chemical Reaction Engineering.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook