DO Concentration for Fishes in Different Water Volumes

• Thread starter needhelpperson
  • Start date
In summary: However, if the replenishment process is less efficient, then the fish in the smaller container will have less DO available to it.
needhelpperson
there are 2 identical containers with 2 identical fishes, but they both contain a different amount of water; one less and one more. Which one has more DO available to the fish?

I'm guess they both contain the same amount of DO. is this correct?

Biology news on Phys.org
No, the container that contains most water contains most dissolved oxygen. There will be the same amount of dissolved oxygen per litre of water, so if there are less litres of water there will be less oxygen. This does however not matter for the fish in it (as long as the container is not too small), because the fish is using oxygen from only a little volume of water at a time, which is independent of the container the fish is in. As the concentration of dissolved oxygen decreases (and that of dissolved carbon dioxide increases), oxygen from the air will dissolve (and carbon dioxide will escape from the water into the air) so that the oxygen concentration will stay more or less the same at all times.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I am sorry I misread your post, there will be same amount of oxygen available to the fish

Last edited:
gerben said:
No, the container that contains most water contains most dissolved oxygen. There will be the same amount of dissolved oxygen per litre of water, so if there are less litres of water there will be less oxygen. This does however not matter for the fish in it (as long as the container is not too small), because the fish is using oxygen from only a little volume of water at a time, which is independent of the container the fish is in. As the concentration of dissolved oxygen decreases (and that of dissolved carbon dioxide increases), oxygen from the air will dissolve (and carbon dioxide will escape from the water into the air) so that the oxygen concentration will stay more or less the same at all times.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I am sorry I misread your post, there will be same amount of oxygen available to the fish

After reading gerben's post, was i correct or not?

needhelpperson said:
After reading gerben's post, was i correct or not?

Yes you were correct, the same amount of dissolved oxygen is available to the fish. This is the case because the amount of oxygen that is available to the fish depends on the concentration of the dissolved oxygen in the water which is the same in both containers. It does not depend on the total amount of water in the container.

Both containers start with the same DO concentration per unit volume (and that is what the fish breathes). The greater volume of water starts with a greater total mass of DO.

Although, as gerben said, atmospheric O2 will dissolve into the water to replenish the consumed DO, this process is not as efficient as the fish's respiratory system. In other words, if it's a small container (small area exposed to the atmosphere), the fish will use up DO faster than it is replaced by the atmosphere. So, the fish in the smaller volume may be in trouble a little bit sooner.

The wider the container mouth (i.e., more surface area exposed to the atmosphere) and the more agitation of the surface, the faster the DO replenishment from the atmosphere. So, the balance would depend on the size of the tank and the activity of the fish.

If the replenishment is totally/quickly efficient, then yeah, the 2 fish see the same DO concentration.

1. How does dissolved oxygen affect fish?

Dissolved oxygen is essential for the survival of fish as it is the primary source of oxygen for them to breathe. Fish use their gills to extract oxygen from the water and low levels of dissolved oxygen can lead to suffocation and death.

2. What is the ideal level of dissolved oxygen for fish?

The ideal level of dissolved oxygen for fish varies depending on the species, but in general, it should be above 5 mg/L. Some fish, such as trout, require higher levels of dissolved oxygen, around 8-10 mg/L, for optimal growth and health.

3. How does temperature affect dissolved oxygen levels?

The solubility of oxygen decreases as water temperature increases. This means that warmer water can hold less dissolved oxygen, making it more challenging for fish to obtain the necessary oxygen for survival. Additionally, warmer water can also increase the metabolic rate of fish, leading to a higher demand for oxygen.

4. What happens if there is too much dissolved oxygen in the water?

High levels of dissolved oxygen can be just as harmful to fish as low levels. When there is an excess of oxygen in the water, it can cause gas bubble disease in fish, which can be fatal. It can also lead to changes in behavior and affect the growth and reproduction of fish.

5. How can I test the levels of dissolved oxygen in my aquarium or pond?

There are several ways to test the levels of dissolved oxygen in water, including using a dissolved oxygen meter, test strips, or chemical kits. It is recommended to regularly monitor the levels of dissolved oxygen in your aquarium or pond to ensure the health and well-being of your fish.