Dissolving metals in acid

In summary, the individual is looking for a way to make a rough plastic surface conductive by coating it with metal. They consider using acid to dissolve copper, aluminum, or nickel and then pouring it onto the surface and letting it dry. However, this method will not result in a metal coating as it will only leave dry salt. A reducing agent would be needed to obtain metal, but the process is not simple and would require proper surface preparation. Other alternatives such as conductive epoxy or all-metal body filler may be more feasible options.
refind
I have a rough plastic surface that I need to make very conductive. I was thinking of coating it with metal but I do not know how. Would it be possible to dissolve some copper/aluminum/nickel (or others) in acid and then pour the acid on the surface and let it dry? Would that give me a metal coating?

The plastic is very resistant to acids.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
refind said:
I have a rough plastic surface that I need to make very conductive. I was thinking of coating it with metal but I do not know how. Would it be possible to dissolve some copper/aluminum/nickel (or others) in acid and then pour the acid on the surface and let it dry? Would that give me a metal coating?

The plastic is very resistant to acids.

I'll defer to others on your question.

However, There are auto body products...metal pastes, etc. I don't know where you are from but 'Big Boy Filler' is conductive.

Anyways, walk around the the auto body section of car parts store. Or, if you drop by any auto body shop they might take two seconds and do it for free (if you are a student).

Some kind of conductive epoxy could work, thanks for the pointer. The silver epoxy is ridiculous expensive, $43 for 16mL on Amazon :/

refind said:
Some kind of conductive epoxy could work, thanks for the pointer. The silver epoxy is ridiculous expensive, $43 for 16mL on Amazon :/

Are you in the USA.? Google 'All Metal'.
Again, used as body filler. Aluminum based and advertised as good conductor. I'm guessing $10.

refind said:
Would it be possible to dissolve some copper/aluminum/nickel (or others) in acid and then pour the acid on the surface and let it dry? Would that give me a metal coating?

No. You will be left with dry salt, not metal. To get metal you need a reducing agent. However what you are trying to do is not trivial, a lot depends on the surface preparation. Compare https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollens'_reagent

1. What is the purpose of dissolving metals in acid?

Dissolving metals in acid is a common laboratory procedure used to determine the reactivity of different metals. It can also be used to extract metals from ores or to clean and etch metal surfaces.

2. Which acids are typically used for dissolving metals?

The most commonly used acids for dissolving metals are hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, and nitric acid. The strength and concentration of the acid will depend on the type of metal being dissolved.

3. What factors affect the rate of metal dissolution in acid?

The rate of metal dissolution in acid is influenced by several factors, including the type and concentration of acid, the surface area and size of the metal, and the temperature and agitation of the solution. Additionally, the reactivity of the metal and any protective layers or coatings on its surface will also impact the rate of dissolution.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when dissolving metals in acid?

When working with acids, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. The acid should be handled carefully and in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling fumes. Proper disposal of the acid and any metal waste is also crucial for safety.

5. Can all metals be dissolved in acid?

Not all metals can be dissolved in acid. Some metals, such as gold and platinum, are resistant to most acids and require a strong oxidizing agent, such as aqua regia, to dissolve. Other metals, such as aluminum and zinc, form a protective oxide layer that slows down or prevents their dissolution in acid.