Distance and time for a treadmill

• Thread starter Outblaze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: Your approach is idealized and won't be close to the actual energy spent. A lot of research in this area has been done. My wife is an exercise physiologist and I hear about it quite often.
Outblaze
Hello:

I'm trying to find "good" measurement for force, distance and time for a treadmill. I'm assuming the force will simply be the "weight" of my body but the distance..the distance is a different issue altogether.

Since we're contrained in not using the data from the machine, I must use simple devices in my disposal i.e. metre sticks, bathroom scales, stop-watches, etc.

How would I calculate good "distances" assuming I'm not setting the treadmill on an incline (that is, if I don't "have" to set it on an incline).

Can I just calculate the average distance between my legs and multiply that by the number of steps I take?

I must also calculate...

1). Energy conducted away by vaporizing sweat.
2).Energy that has been radiated away by my body during the workout.
3).heat energy stored in excess body temperature.
4). Amount of heat energy lost by convection
5). total food energy used
6). heat energy created during the work-out.

Also, what happens to the energy stored as excess body heat as my body cools down to normal temperature?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess this is going to depend on just how accurate you are really wanting to get...

I can see where this is going. I can tell you that your approach is very much idealized and won't be close to the actual energy spent. A lot of research in this area has been done. My wife is an exercise physiologist and I hear about it quite often.

The biggest source of error in your approach is to assume that the work done is simply F*d. In the case of a treadmill, one does not propel themselves like they do on a regular surface. Essentially, one is simply keeping up with the treadmill. Therefore the amount of energy expected to be spent is actually quite a bit lower. If you don't believe me, run 2 miles on a treadmill and then 2 miles outside. You'll see a huge difference in dificulty. Most research I have seen in this area uses a lot of connections between oxygen take up and energy expenditure.

I would suggest that you do some research into this area just to get a better idea of what is really done in the professional world.

Also, what happens to the energy stored as excess body heat as my body cools down to normal temperature?
When your body stops working as hard as it was, it stops producing heat at that increased rate. The heat you had simply dispurses to the surroundings.

Good work Fred, but...

FredGarvin said:
In the case of a treadmill, one does not propel themselves like they do on a regular surface. Essentially, one is simply keeping up with the treadmill.

We need to be careful about the type of treadmill. Some are self propelled (by a motor) as Fred explained, but others just offer friction/magnetic resistance and are actually powered by the user.

Related to Distance and time for a treadmill

1. How does the speed of a treadmill affect the distance and time?

The speed of a treadmill directly affects the distance and time. The faster the speed, the shorter the time it takes to cover a specific distance. For example, running at a speed of 6 miles per hour on a treadmill will cover a distance of 3 miles in just 30 minutes.

2. What is the relationship between the grade/incline of a treadmill and the distance and time?

The grade or incline of a treadmill also has a significant impact on the distance and time. Running on a higher incline will increase the distance covered in the same amount of time compared to running on a flat surface. This is because more effort is required to climb an incline, which results in a greater distance covered.

3. How accurate is the distance and time displayed on a treadmill?

The accuracy of the distance and time displayed on a treadmill depends on various factors such as the quality and calibration of the machine, the user's weight and running form, and the surface the treadmill is placed on. Generally, modern treadmills have advanced technology that provides accurate distance and time measurements.

4. Can I use a treadmill to train for a specific distance or time goal?

Yes, treadmills can be a useful tool for training for specific distance or time goals. You can adjust the speed and incline to mimic outdoor running conditions and track your progress over time. It is also a great way to practice pacing and build endurance for longer distances.

5. Is running on a treadmill the same as running outside in terms of distance and time?

Running on a treadmill and running outside can have slight differences in terms of distance and time. This is because running outside requires the runner to propel themselves forward, while on a treadmill, the belt is moving, resulting in a slightly easier workout. However, with proper adjustments, a treadmill can provide a similar distance and time experience to running outside.