• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Distance and time integrals

• Thread starter armolinasf
  • Start date

Homework Statement

If you jump out of an airplane and your parachute fails to open our downward velocity t seconds after jumping is approximated for g=9.8m/sec^2 and k=.2 sec, by

v(t)=(g/k)(1-e^(-kt))

So, if you jump from 5000 meters above the ground write an equation whose solution is the number of seconds you fall before hitting the ground.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is coming from the section in my book on definite integrals but I'm not sure where to start. Thanks for any help.

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
v(t)=x'(t) where x(t) is the vertical displacement. So to find x(t) given v(t) you would integrate v(t), right?

Integrating v(t) would give me the total meters travelled but if I'm looking for the number of seconds it took to fall 5000 meters I would need to integrate something else.

Or could I use the integral that gives me distance and say that t=d/v where d is the integral and v is v(t)? This was my first thought but I'm uncertain since v(t) is a function of time.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Integrating v(t) would give me the total meters travelled but if I'm looking for the number of seconds it took to fall 5000 meters I would need to integrate something else.

Or could I use the integral that gives me distance and say that t=d/v where d is the integral and v is v(t)? This was my first thought but I'm uncertain since v(t) is a function of time.
If you can find x(t) you can certainly try and solve x(t)=5000 for t, right? Using d/v is wrong. The speed isn't constand.

So then finding x(t) would just be finding the antiderivative of v(t) correct?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Sure.