1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance and time problem

1. May 8, 2007 #1
    I'm reviewing for my physics exam and I'm kind of stuck on this problem. It gives three values, X1= 10m and X2= 30m and velocity of 35. How much is the time of travel? Can it be as simple as t=(10-20)/35

Another question is give two components and their respective angles, you find the resultant vector by sqroot(component^2+component^2) right? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Not sure what your equation means: t=(10-20)/35

Is it a typo? The delta distance is 30m-10m, right?

And on your second question, you should convert the vectors into rectangular coordinates and add them. Then your answer can stay in rectangular coordinates, or you can convert back to polar (magnitude, direction) coordinates.

4. May 8, 2007 #3
    It is as simple as t = (30-10)/35, if the velocity is in m/s.

"sqroot(component^2+component^2)" will not give you the resultant vector, it's just a number equal to the magnitude of the vector.

5. May 8, 2007 #4
    1.constant velocity

v = s/t (m/s)

2. it is Petagorus's rule
    when that must be perpendicular components
    if not be perpendicular use rhombus calculating

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?