1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance b/w two aircrafts

1. Oct 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An air-traffic controller observes too aircraft on his radar screen.the first is at altitude 800 m , horizontal distance 19.2km and 25.0 degree south of west.the second aircraft is at altitude 1100m, horizontal distance 17.6km and 20.0 degree south of west.what is the distance between the two aircrafts?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

This problem is almost impossible to solve; could you please share with us YOUR OWN WORK on it?

4. Oct 20, 2007 #3
    yup i m also unable to solve it......

5. Oct 20, 2007 #4
    I can help you visualize your problem. Take a piece of paper (grid paper is best) and draw a horizontal axis in the middle and a vertical axis in the middle. This is what the air traffic controller sees on his radar and he sees himself at the origin where the two axes cross.

The angles are given in a non-standard form, but you should be able to convert them to standard angles. Give it a try.

Try placing a dot where each plane is approximately.

6. Oct 20, 2007 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So, you didn't get my demand, then?

It is against forum rules to just hand you out answers to your homework;
    specify what you have done, and try to identify what you don't understand, or precisely where you are stuck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?