Distance b/w 2 Points on Spacetime Diagrams: Meaning?

In summary: What such functions do is (for example) select the set of events with (say) \Delta s =1,which are different the set of events such that L=1 .
Kairos
With one spatial dimension ## x ##, the spacetime interval between two events ## A ## and ## B ## is

## \Delta s= \sqrt{(ct_{B}-ct_{A})^{2}-(x_{B}-x_{A})^{2}} ##

I have a technical question: on the plane of the graph (x,y=ct), the ordinary distance between 2 points ## A ## and ## B ## is

## L= \sqrt{(y_{B}-y_{A})^{2}+(x_{B}-x_{A})^{2}} ##

Does this distance have any particular meaning or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kairos said:

##L = \sqrt{(x_{B}-x_{A})^2+(y_{B}-y_{A})^2+(z_{B}-z_{A})^2 } ## has the usual meaning of spatial distance in flat Euclidean space.

Likes topsquark
Kairos said:
With one spatial dimension ## x ##, the spacetime interval between two events ## A ## and ## B ## is

I have a technical question: on the plane of the graph (x,y=ct), the ordinary distance between 2 points ## A ## and ## B ## is

No. At least not if, as you did, you assume y = ct.

Likes topsquark
Kairos said:
Precisely a spacetime diagram is drawn on a flat Euclidean sheet,
Minkowski paper is hard to find.

• Haha
Likes phinds, vanhees71, topsquark and 1 other person
I understand that this measure has no interest in relativity, thank you

Kairos said:
Just to be clear, you are taking two events in a (1+1)d Minkowski spacetime, plotting them on a 2d Euclidean plane, and asking if the Euclidean distance between the two points on the diagram has any significance in the Minkowski plane? No, except in the special cases that ##\Delta t## or ##\Delta x## is zero, in which case ##L^2=\pm\Delta s^2##.

(Edit: wow, a lot of posts appeared when I clicked post on this one!)

Last edited:
Likes topsquark and Kairos
PeroK said:

I claim that it's actually not hard to find.
1669309831910.png

However, one does need to know how to use it.
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/relativity-rotated-graph-paper/ :smile:

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, topsquark, PeroK and 1 other person
Kairos said:

Not within Minkowski geometry, which is the geometry to describe the special-relativistic spacetime.

PeroK said:
True, but today we can use a computer to make it easily ourselves. You have to draw the hyperbolae ##(ct)^2-x^2=k## with ##k \in \Z##. Then you can draw arbitrary pairs of lines through ##ct=x=0## symmetric to the light-cone lines ##x=\pm ct## (##k=0##) to define arbitrary inertial reference frames (with the correct unit tics marked by the intersections of these axes with the hyperbolae).

Interesting, thank you. And staying on the ordinary paper representation, wouldn't the mathematical tool of imaginary time or space allow to visualize the spacetime intervals as simple Euclidean intervals? (by converting ## \Delta s ## to ## L ## in my first post)

Kairos said:
Interesting, thank you. And staying on the ordinary paper representation, wouldn't the mathematical tool of imaginary time or space allow to visualize the spacetime intervals as simple Euclidean intervals? (by converting ## \Delta s ## to ## L ## in my first post)
How are you going to represent the effects of an imaginary time axis on an ordinary set of axes? Better to use the hyperbolic graph paper.

-Dan

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Kairos said:
allow to visualize the spacetime intervals as simple Euclidean intervals
When was the last time you saw a clock read 11:30i? Or a ruler read 12i inches?

That relative minus sign is a real thing. You can't define/wish it away.

Likes topsquark
Kairos said:
wouldn't the mathematical tool of imaginary time or space allow to visualize the spacetime intervals as simple Euclidean intervals?
First, this is a mathematical trick that doesn't change the physics.

Second, this trick only works in flat spacetime. It doesn't work in curved spacetime, so it can't be generalized to GR. That makes its usefulness limited even as a mathematical trick.

Likes vanhees71, topsquark and Kairos
Kairos said:
It's not clear what you mean.
Given two points with coordinates [itex] (x_A,ct_A) [/itex] and [itex] (x_B,ct_B) [/itex],
you can plot them on graph paper, regardless of any distance function.
For each pair of points, you can define
  • a function [itex] \Delta s [/itex] (as you defined above) which assigns a number to a pair
  • another function [itex] L [/itex] (as you defined above) which assigns generally a different number to the same pair
  • (you can define yet more functions)
The definitions of such functions doesn't change the appearance on the graph paper.
What such functions do is (for example) select
the set of events with (say) [itex] \Delta s =1[/itex],
which are different the set of events such that [itex] L=1 [/itex].

Maybe you seek a different representation... which (to me) hasn't been clearly defined.

Likes Kairos, Ibix and topsquark
robphy said:
It's not clear what you mean.
Given two points with coordinates [itex] (x_A,ct_A) [/itex] and [itex] (x_B,ct_B) [/itex],
you can plot them on graph paper, regardless of any distance function.
For each pair of points, you can define
  • a function [itex] \Delta s [/itex] (as you defined above) which assigns a number to a pair
  • another function [itex] L [/itex] (as you defined above) which assigns generally a different number to the same pair
  • (you can define yet more functions)
The definitions of such functions doesn't change the appearance on the graph paper.
What such functions do is (for example) select
the set of events with (say) [itex] \Delta s =1[/itex],
which are different the set of events such that [itex] L=1 [/itex].

Maybe you seek a different representation... which (to me) hasn't been clearly defined.
Yes, that was my question: if we could use imaginary time as a simple tool to make another representation (not to change the physics!) where ## L=1 ## directly visible on the new representation, would be obtained with the same pair as ## \Delta s =1 ## (not directly visible on Minkowski diagram). According to the different answers, I forget this vague and probably wrong idea! Thank you.

Kairos said:
According to the different answers, I forget this vague and probably wrong idea!
The problem is that you would need to be able to draw a line on a piece of paper with imaginary length, so that its contribution to the squared Euclidean length is negative. That would be a neat trick if you could do it...

Likes Vanadium 50 and topsquark
Kairos said:
## L=1 ## directly visible on the new representation...
How is ##L=1## directly visible? by using a ruler you can rotate, or by imagining circles of radius 1?

Kairos said:
## \Delta s =1 ## (not directly visible on Minkowski diagram)
With a little guidance, imagination, and some practice counting,
one can visualize the squared-interval ##\Delta s^2## on a Minkowski spacetime diagram.

Rather than visualize hyperbolas, one can visualize causal diamonds (parallelograms with lightlike sides, formed from the intersections of lightcones). Thus, these are Lorentz invariant.

• Below is a triplet of timelike segments from event O with ##\Delta s^2=\Delta (ct)^2 - \Delta x^2=4##.
    The diamonds have area 4 and these are segments are their timelike diagonals. So, ##\Delta s^2=+4##. (The corners opposite to event O do lie on a hyperbola of "radius" 2 "centered" at O.)
    (Instead of a ruler you can rotate,
    imagine a deformable constant-area parallelogram with sides parallel to the gridlines.)
  • There is also a triplet of spacelike (dotted) segments with ##\Delta s^2= -4##.
    These diamonds have area 4 and these are segments are their spacelike diagonals.
  • ##\Delta s_{AZ}^2=+36##, ##\Delta s_{MN}^2=-36##, ##\Delta s_{AM}^2=0##, ##\Delta s_{AN}^2=0##, ##\Delta s_{MZ}^2=0##, ##\Delta s_{NZ}^2=0##
  • ##\Delta s_{OZ}^2=132## (count the grid diamonds)
    ##\Delta s_{OZ}^2=11.5^2-0.5^2## (count along the grid diamond diagonals)
1669549760828.png

details: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/relativity-rotated-graph-paper/

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, topsquark and Kairos

1. What is a spacetime diagram?

A spacetime diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between space and time. It is commonly used in physics to visualize the motion of objects and events in the universe.

2. How is distance measured on a spacetime diagram?

Distance on a spacetime diagram is measured using a metric called the Minkowski metric. This metric takes into account both the spatial and temporal components of an event or object's position.

3. What is the significance of the distance between two points on a spacetime diagram?

The distance between two points on a spacetime diagram represents the spacetime interval between those two events or objects. This interval is a fundamental concept in special relativity and can help determine the causal relationship between events.

4. How does the distance between two points on a spacetime diagram change in different reference frames?

The distance between two points on a spacetime diagram remains the same regardless of the reference frame in which it is measured. This is a fundamental principle of special relativity known as the invariance of spacetime intervals.

5. Can the distance between two points on a spacetime diagram be negative?

Yes, the distance between two points on a spacetime diagram can be negative. This indicates that the two events or objects are separated by a spacetime interval that is spacelike, meaning that they are too far apart for any causal relationship to exist.