Distance between current-carrying loops

• Thread starter Brainy_Mike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loops
The magnetic field is the same strength and direction at all points within the space between the two loops. This only occurs if the separation distance between the loops is equal to the radius of each coil, and not if they are closer. In summary, when generating current through two parallel loops of transformer wire in the same direction, the magnetic field at the centre of the space between the loops will be uniform if the separation distance between the loops is equal to the radius of each coil. If the loops are closer together, the magnetic field will not be uniform.
Brainy_Mike
If I generate current through two identical loops (parallel) of transformer wire in the same direction, why do they produce an uniform magnetic field at the centre of the space between the loops ONLY IF the separation distance between the loops is equal to the radius of each coil? and not if they are closer?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Brainy_Mike said:
If I generate current through two identical loops (parallel) of transformer wire in the same direction, why do they produce an uniform magnetic field at the centre of the space between the loops ONLY IF the separation distance between the loops is equal to the radius of each coil? and not if they are closer?
What do you mean by the "centre of the space between the loops"? Are you referring to a plane that is equidistant from the plane of each loop? Or are you referring to the axis between the centres of the two loops?

AM

the midpoint on the axis through the centres of the two loops

Brainy_Mike said:
the midpoint on the axis through the centres of the two loops
That is a point. What do you mean by 'uniform'? Uniform means the same over a number of points.

AM

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance between two current-carrying loops?

The formula for calculating the distance between two current-carrying loops is d = (μ0/4π) * (I1 * I2 * A) / r, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two loops, A is the area of one of the loops, and r is the distance between the centers of the two loops.

2. How does the distance between current-carrying loops affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field between two current-carrying loops is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the strength of the magnetic field decreases.

3. Can the distance between current-carrying loops be negative?

No, the distance between two objects cannot be negative. It is always a positive value that represents the physical separation between the two objects.

4. Does the orientation of the current-carrying loops affect the distance between them?

Yes, the orientation of the current-carrying loops does affect the distance between them. If the loops are parallel to each other, the distance is measured between the centers of the loops. However, if the loops are not parallel, the distance is measured between the closest points on the loops.

5. How does the distance between current-carrying loops impact the torque experienced by each loop?

The torque experienced by each loop is directly proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the torque also increases. This is because the magnetic force between the loops also increases with distance, resulting in a greater torque on each loop.